Whats up SMD,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I had a quick question. I was interested in the topic of learning how to paint cars as a side hobby while I'm still in college, and was wondering if anyone does this as a profession or as a hobby. I know the perfection of getting a professional paint job comes with trial and error (and plenty of cars), but I was wondering why don't most people paint cars themselves (besides the fact of needing to practice) as it is a very costly investment for a vehicle. Is it due to the time and hours needed to be put in for the job (I'm assuming thats where most of the $$$ comes in from professional paint shops). Is it the cost of materials? Ive read the quality of paint matters of course but someone posted that just for the materials for one paint job is ~$1000. True? Maybe it could be because they do not have a vehicle to practice on before they go all out on their DD or weekend car.

Overall, I'm just wondering if this would be an expensive hobby (besides initial cost for compressor, gun, set up garage as paint booth, ventilation, etc) and the level of difficulty involved in order to be able to do a good paint job. I do have a car to practice on (Sunbeam Alpine) as well as have money for the initial items. This just seems like a good ROI if someone can always come out with good paint jobs.

Also, if anyone has any good forums or sources I could keep reading, that would be great. This wont happen anytime soon, most likely in the coming months. Still deciding if it is worth it to try and learn.

Thanks Guys!

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415

SO. MUCH. SANDING.

Unless you don't mind doing a LOT of sanding, then painting cars isn't for you.

There are hours and hours and hours of mind numbing tedious prep work before you even think about picking up a spray gun.

It can certainly be done. It's not too incredibly complex. It is a ton of work, and you'll likely go through several colors or several cars before you are good enough to call your jobs factory quality, show quality is on another level entirely.

If you're not afraid of manual labor go for it.

SO. MUCH. SANDING.

Unless you don't mind doing a LOT of sanding, then painting cars isn't for you.

There are hours and hours and hours of mind numbing tedious prep work before you even think about picking up a spray gun.

It can certainly be done. It's not too incredibly complex. It is a ton of work, and you'll likely go through several colors or several cars before you are good enough to call your jobs factory quality, show quality is on another level entirely.

If you're not afraid of manual labor go for it.

I get you. I've watched a few videos of how its done. Maybe I'll go down to a local shop and see if they would allow me to watch a few times. Who knows though. And as of sanding, is this hand sanding on or done with a block / orbiter of some kind. I know I gotta do a good amount of sanding, but you made it sound 100x worst haha. But you're probably right, ALOT OF sanding. For a whole car, depending on the compressor of course, but on average how many days does it take to paint a car factory quality. I still got college for 1 1/2 years, so I have time for practice :)

Edit: Just seems likea good ROI as if I can do factory paint, I know plenty of people who "modify on a budget" and would pay 750-1000$ for a paint job. But then again, who knows.

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

You'd lose money trying to do quality paint jobs and only charging $750- $1000.

Most colleges have auto body classes these days, if you want to learn go take some extra classes.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

to answer your questions...it's both the cost of materials and the time it takes. Quality paint doesn't come cheap, and no one wants to waste expensive paint if it's not gonna come out nice; (not to mention how long prep took just to get it there) you'd be pretty much throwing money down the drain. Finding yourself a decent spray booth will be difficult, unless you knew someone or a shop would let you use theirs at night for practice

If you were really interested, it may benefit to try and find a shop that will let you watch....But you have to remember, time is money and the slower those guys are moving, the longer it's taking them to get work done. Especially if it's a mom and pop collision shop.

Like Paralyzed said, it's almost all prep work. Shooting the paint is the easy part...there's definitely a technique to it, and it changes with the type/quality gun your using too. I went to Wyotech for collision/ refinish, hot rod/metal fab. Learned some decent stuff there but unless you plan on making it a profession, that option is pretty expensive for just a hobby.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Painting and body work is an absolute art

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I am self taught for the most part and it wasn't as hard or scary as everyone made it out to be. I've never met a man with a PHD in painting cars. My friend and his son teach autobody at a local college and they say most of where people get discouraged and either put out shit work or just quit is when they realize how much work is involved. I know a guy who charges 10k+ and it can take a year. But in that year you are getting the best most OCD work done to your vehicle.

Learn about mixing ratios. For real, it's never too early to learn those cups.

Learn prep work. You will kick yourself strait in the balls the first time a little fish eye pops up. You will know EXACTLY where you slacked off and will respect the prep work a little more every time you spray.

I started with cheap stuff from lowes etc and now have some cool shit (that I haven't used in years BTW) and I will tell you, the better the equipment, the better the product (given the right amount of know how of course)...

Thanks guys for the help. due to my schedule and major, my semesters are currently filled with 15-19 units per semester and the cap is 19. I can't fit any room for auto classes until next year.

Was looking into using a HVLP gun or start with a cheap gun, who knows. But you guys are saying prep is key, so Ima watch videos and read on that.

For the cost to paint a car without the initial equipment, how much does it run usually for good paint for a sedan. Includes primer, base coat, clear coat, paint, etc. if you guys are saying 750-1000 is too low, I'm just curious to what a person at a auto shop might charge a family member for a paint job. If that makes sense.

Thanks guys! I appreciate y'all advice

@blue , do you say it's an expensive hobby due to the cost just to paint one car? Or the whole initial cost for quality products. Or everything all together haha

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Just learn to plasti-dip it's pretty popular right now and comes in all kinds of crazy colors these days and requires very little prep compared to a real paint job.

Intial start up cost is low as well.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Just learn to plasti-dip it's pretty popular right now and comes in all kinds of crazy colors these days and requires very little prep compared to a real paint job.

Intial start up cost is low as well.

Rather spend my time and learn vinyl wrapping instead of PD. I'm just curious what the price per car for a whole paint job is. I had a friend who PD his car with the whole spray kit , didn't really catch my attention in a positive way.

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Archived