Sonic Electronix

General Amp & Sub Wiring Question!

Hey guys, I recently picked up two Alpine SWS-10D4 subs and I'm looking at getting the Pioneer GM-D9601 amp. The subs are rated at 500 watts RMS and they're dual voice coil. The amp is capable of producing 800 watts RMS at 2 ohms and 1200 watts RMS at 1 ohm stable. My question is if I should run my system at 1 or 2 ohms. I'm sure the subs can handle a little more than they're rated for and from what I've read the amp puts out what it's rated for if not a little more. So, should I run my subs (1000 watts RMS combined) slightly under powered (800 watts RMS @ 2 ohms) or slightly overpowered (1200 watts RMS @ 1 ohm)?

Also, 4 gauge wire should be sufficient for the amp right? And 8 gauge for the speakers?

Thanks!

You can't run that amp at 2ohm, because you have two D4 subwoofers. Only 1ohm, 4ohm, or 16ohm. So, run it at 1ohm, make sure you have the gain and filters set properly, and your wiring should be fine. 8ga for the subs is a little much for that small of power, I'd go with 12ga personally. But if you already have the 8ga then use it.

You can't run that amp at 2ohm, because you have two D4 subwoofers. Only 1ohm, 4ohm, or 16ohm. So, run it at 1ohm, make sure you have the gain and filters set properly, and your wiring should be fine. 8ga for the subs is a little much for that small of power, I'd go with 12ga personally. But if you already have the 8ga then use it.

Thanks for the quick reply! The Pioneer amp however has two output terminals but it's called a monoblock amp for some reason.

For 1 ohm it'll be a bridged connection but 2 ohms will be like this right?

2_subs_DVC_4_ohm_2ch.jpg

If that is a mono amp then it will be 1 ohm. If it was a two channel amp then it would be 2 ohms on each channel.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Thanks for the quick reply! The Pioneer amp however has two output terminals but it's called a monoblock amp for some reason.

For 1 ohm it'll be a bridged connection but 2 ohms will be like this right?

2_subs_DVC_4_ohm_2ch.jpg

No, the two pair of outputs is for simplicity in wiring. It's just a mono (one channel) amp. So you are not able to wire to 2 ohm. Only 1ohm, 4, or 16ohm

amps like this are good for breaking down the power each cable will carry to each voice coil / sub.... I run my amp at 1ohm but run separate cables to each voice coil.... so in turn I get a split of power going through 12awg speaker cable... so instead of 1200rms going through 12awg its 600rms going through 2 runs of 12awg but sub still gets the same power but with less parasitic loss through cable size .....on the amp the terminal blocks are joined together internally

No, the two pair of outputs is for simplicity in wiring. It's just a mono (one channel) amp. So you are not able to wire to 2 ohm. Only 1ohm, 4, or 16ohm

amps like this are good for breaking down the power each cable will carry to each voice coil / sub.... I run my amp at 1ohm but run separate cables to each voice coil.... so in turn I get a split of power going through 12awg speaker cable... so instead of 1200rms going through 12awg its 600rms going through 2 runs of 12awg but sub still gets the same power but with less parasitic loss through cable size .....on the amp the terminal blocks are joined together internally

Ohh very interesting, I didn't know that. Alright so I guess 1 ohm it is! Thanks!

I think I'm having dejavu.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived