So when I started out, I had light dimming, so I bought the T-Spec 3.5 Cap from crutchfield for like $70 bucks, and my light dimming went away. Was running a ZR240 then. Now with a couple more years of expeirence and stuff, I'm starting to read how caps are actually not as "good for you" as I had always thought. I now have a SX650.1 and have minimal light dim but I'm not worried about it cause voltage stays around like 13.9 ish or more. And thats with my cap and new battery. Just the best Super Start O'Rielly's had. SO, long story short? Caps? Good or not? And, eventually when I get a new Alt, should I just scrap the Cap or have it on hand laying around for the heck of it. lol

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Haha, I seen in a build log someone use like 30 of these. I know they're pretty small, so when it comes to just whats better, some XS Power batts (or any extra batt for that), or some super caps.

Or are super caps only really uh.. (can't find the word..) used in space limited installs?

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Caps, if they are quality can help a system. If you have a strong enough alternator that can maintain good voltages, a cap can help cover the immediate drop that the alternator can't keep up with.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Caps, if they are quality can help a system. If you have a strong enough alternator that can maintain good voltages, a cap can help cover the immediate drop that the alternator can't keep up with.

Thank you for a well informed and mature response, as opposed to CAPZ R BAD that i see 95% of the time anyone mentions them.

Don't trust a shop but you personally just smoked two decks, makes sense.

03' Trailblazer LT
Dayton Designer 6.5"s & Silkie tweeters
Dayton Audio Ultimax 18"
Pioneer 9601 & 8604
XS Power D3400
2 runs 1/0
Singer 250

Caps have there place

in the OP system the cap works leave it be your cap is good

in a lot of other applications caps don't work

If you have a system that really taxes a charging system major voltage drop a cap is the last thing you will want to put in line

as the cap only holds a minimal amount of power once drained your charging system will now have to supply your audio while trying to

charge the cap resulting in even MORE voltage drop as there are more products demanding that power

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

A capacitor will help the voltage dip. So instead of turning it down a little, you can leave the volume up and kick your alternators butt instead. This is how they get a bad rap for killing alts. A battery is the same way. What ever you take out you have to put back in. It has to come from the alt to begin with.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

It's easiest to think of power as water. A capacitor is a small reservoir attached to the amplifier, and the output of the amplifier is a fire hose. There's a certain flow rate where the reservoir won't do anything, but in a pinch that reservoir can make up for not having a bigger main water pipe. The problem being that once you've emptied that reservoir, now not only does your main water line have to supply flow to the amplifier, but now it also has to refill the reservoir. When you're to this point, a capacitor is almost a black hole for electrical potential assuming you didn't have the electrical to back up your power demand in the first place.

Plus, with how big filter caps are on the voltage boost side of amplifiers now, you'd need a HUGE cap to even do anything.

Don't trust a shop but you personally just smoked two decks, makes sense.

03' Trailblazer LT
Dayton Designer 6.5"s & Silkie tweeters
Dayton Audio Ultimax 18"
Pioneer 9601 & 8604
XS Power D3400
2 runs 1/0
Singer 250

A capacitor will help the voltage dip. So instead of turning it down a little, you can leave the volume up and kick your alternators butt instead. This is how they get a bad rap for killing alts. A battery is the same way. What ever you take out you have to put back in. It has to come from the alt to begin with.

can you explain this makes little to no sense to me on how you are "trying" to explain it

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Archived