audiofanaticz Posted March 14, 2016 Report Posted March 14, 2016 Either of these setups are pointless wait a waste to go sealed. If your going to run sealed, go to walmart buy some pioneers and a dual amp...
LsChevy Posted March 14, 2016 Author Report Posted March 14, 2016 Why is sealed a waste? I've heard some impressive sealed setups in the past
White Lightning Posted March 14, 2016 Report Posted March 14, 2016 IB Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado "The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually" Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet) Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch
gckless Posted March 14, 2016 Report Posted March 14, 2016 Your situation is like my Mercedes. Trunk is a sealed partition of vehicle, no getting around that, and far from optimal in the pursuit of getting loud.. IMO, you're gonna have to go bandpass and port through the deck lid. This is definitely the ported way to go. Either of these setups are pointless wait a waste to go sealed. If your going to run sealed, go to walmart buy some pioneers and a dual amp... Why are they a waste? That second statement is pretty asinine IMO. I love large sealed builds. If you were getting at those specific subs aren't great for sealed, well I don't have experience with either, but I seem to remember people doing 4ths with both so they can't be too bad. IB This is one time I'll have to disagree with you. That trunk lid will be in pieces in very short order. This vehicle, this power, I don't think IB is a good option. Now with lower power, this would probably be a good vehicle for it, if he did something about the lid. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
Esgedi Posted March 14, 2016 Report Posted March 14, 2016 Your situation is like my Mercedes. Trunk is a sealed partition of vehicle, no getting around that, and far from optimal in the pursuit of getting loud.. IMO, you're gonna have to go bandpass and port through the deck lid. This is definitely the ported way to go. The reason i mentioned that specifically was because his trunk, as an acousic coupling chamber, is terrible. He could probably get loud with 2 12"s or 10"s in a 4th or variation of a 6th order that's completely isolated from the trunk and loads off of the rear window. Having done a dozen or so install in 80's GM cars, i've come to the conclusion that this is pretty much the only option. If you just want bass fill, put 6x9's in the deck... but if you actually want a little bit of beat, it's going to require major surgery. Don't trust a shop but you personally just smoked two decks, makes sense. 03' Trailblazer LTDayton Designer 6.5"s & Silkie tweetersDayton Audio Ultimax 18"Pioneer 9601 & 8604XS Power D34002 runs 1/0Singer 250
LsChevy Posted March 14, 2016 Author Report Posted March 14, 2016 Your situation is like my Mercedes. Trunk is a sealed partition of vehicle, no getting around that, and far from optimal in the pursuit of getting loud.. IMO, you're gonna have to go bandpass and port through the deck lid. This is definitely the ported way to go. The reason i mentioned that specifically was because his trunk, as an acousic coupling chamber, is terrible. He could probably get loud with 2 12"s or 10"s in a 4th or variation of a 6th order that's completely isolated from the trunk and loads off of the rear window. Having done a dozen or so install in 80's GM cars, i've come to the conclusion that this is pretty much the only option. If you just want bass fill, put 6x9's in the deck... but if you actually want a little bit of beat, it's going to require major surgery.The way the trunk is made I think it will be a little difficult for a fourth because right in the center of the trunk it have about a horizontal 45°angle. It's kinda made like a mini deck. If you're familiar with those trunks you know what I'm talking about So how can I accurately get measurements
audiofanaticz Posted March 14, 2016 Report Posted March 14, 2016 A fourth order and a sealed box are drastically different....It is impossible to compare the two as being one in the same. Yes it is a waste because your going to lose so much performance and for what? Not to damage the trunk as bad according to the op.
Knocker Posted March 17, 2016 Report Posted March 17, 2016 Just for the hell of it I went ahead and modeled the TEAM Fi 15 D2 and the TEAM AA 18 D2 in sealed enclosures. I modeled the 15 in boxes between 2-5 cubes and the 18 in boxes between 3-8 cubes. All response curves were basically the same. I lIke sealed boxes to be between .505 and .707 QTC but this appears to be beyond critically damped. As a matter of fact, I believe that top of the line Pioneers might yield better performance in proper enclosures than the TEAMS would in sealed boxes. Here are the response curves.
audiofanaticz Posted March 17, 2016 Report Posted March 17, 2016 Just for the hell of it I went ahead and modeled the TEAM Fi 15 D2 and the TEAM AA 18 D2 in sealed enclosures. I modeled the 15 in boxes between 2-5 cubes and the 18 in boxes between 3-8 cubes. All response curves were basically the same. I lIke sealed boxes to be between .505 and .707 QTC but this appears to be beyond critically damped. As a matter of fact, I believe that top of the line Pioneers might yield better performance in proper enclosures than the TEAMS would in sealed boxes. Here are the response curves. Those are the same exact graph with the same hyperlink for both graphs so of coarse they will look the same when your using the same picture for each one. Where are you getting 18s from, this thread is about 2 15s with 2 5ks ported or 3 15s with 1 5k sealed last time I checked. Maybe its just me but I wouldn't trust any design software that has Ford ads (well any ads) being displayed on it. But Im sure its just some generic free app from the play store. Regardless for the response curve for the box you can pretty much get it look similar to another woofer since its all about the actual design of the box and your able to tweak things like the port area, length, enclosure size to get your desired results whatever they maybe.
audiofanaticz Posted March 17, 2016 Report Posted March 17, 2016 The way the trunk is made I think it will be a little difficult for a fourth because right in the center of the trunk it have about a horizontal 45°angle. It's kinda made like a mini deck. If you're familiar with those trunks you know what I'm talking about So how can I accurately get measurements You can build right over that angle Ls Chevy, it is above the rear axle, and a lot of older vehicles have similar trunk layouts like this. If you have the room a 4th order would work well this way then have it port in to the car through the rear deck which would eliminate almost every possible trunk rattle and have no fear of damaging the trunk. Your best way to measure the said space is to measure it in sections. Measure the area below the rear deck by the angle as 1 section, calculate your total square footage for that section. Then measure the the larger section towards the rear of the car and calculate your total square footage for that section. Lastly where that angle is between the 2 sections of the trunk, turn it into a square to measure it and calculate your square footage for that section alone, then divide that specific square footage in half for that one section. Once you got all 3 of your totals add them up together to see what kind of room you have.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.