Second Skin Audio

4th Order Ported Through Rear Deck Arm rest- Advice needed

Will this work?

FI Alpha 12

2 3" aero Ports - This is all I can mount on the rear deck.

Ported Side - 33W x 14H x 9D

1.6 net ft^3

43hz tuning

14.13 sq in of port area

8.89 per foot

Sealed side - 33W x 14H X 7D

1.0 ft^3

Im picturing the sub facing forward and the sealed side is closes to trunk hatch. The ported side is in the front and the aero ports will come out of the top on each side and extend to the rear deck holes and be sealed there. 1-2 in of the port will be in the box, no bends.

TOP VIEW

8vn49d.jpg

REAR VIEW

avo5eo.png

The general design will work, just be sure you seal the ports to the deck. Lots of loss if you just stick them through an opening, even if you extend them an inch or so past, without sealing them.

Not familiar with the sub, so I didn't check your math.

Static drops are my bag.

I will seal the flares. Then4in aeros need a 6.5" cutout to mount. My rear deck has 6x9 holes and i dont plan on cutting. Ill probably run 750 rms as well.

Now that I'm more awake and not watching a hockey game, I agree with using as large of a port as possible. You should be able to make the 4s work in 6x9 openings. Even if you have to make a plate (which you'll need anyway to seal it, just make it thicker) to raise it up a tiny bit, or shave down two sides of the port mouths. Remember--the larger the port the less chance of port noise, and all of your sound is coming from those two holes.

Cool project, we've done a couple over the years using speaker holes or factory rear deck subwoofer holes. Post up the build!

Static drops are my bag.

This design seems like it will be huge for a 12. I think i may try to make one to accommodate an 8. I would plan on using just 1 4" aero port. How much airspace would an 8" need on the sealed side? I plan on making something close to a 1:1 ratio.

Why don't just use a ported box (which is also a 4th order box,but not bandpass)?

No need to use a 4th order bandpass.

trunk car. I dont want to seal off a box nor do i want to just lay one in the trunk.

only option is a 4th that fires through rear deck or run a pair of 6.5 subs in the rear deck.

Archived