Second Skin Audio

stereo integrity DS4 ?????

Bayuk89

Came across the stereo integrity DS4 sub, it has 27mm of Xmax (vs my SA-18 @ 19mm) D4 or D2 configuration. 1200 watts RMS (Vs my SA-18 @ 600 watts RMS) it has a 4" coil (vs my SA-18 @ 2.5") it sells for $259 on the website... Is it worth selling my SA-18's for a pair of these DS4 subs ??

http://stereointegrity.com/product/ds4-18-subwoofer/

4 inch voice coil on a 1200 rms sub? seems kind of overkill to me. I wonder if you could recone it with better suspension parts for way more power handling, may be something to look into.

Voice coil size doesn't mean jack about power handling.

I mean it can, but at the same time it cant...

So you should never judge a woofer by its coil size or wattage alone.

Just because its a 4inch coil doesnt mean it has to be some 3000+ watt rms woofer.

The material of the windings, the gauge of the windings, the style of the windings, how many layers of the windings are actually far more important to the wattage rating (along with the motor cooling) than just the size alone.

You have cheap Lanzar subs with 3 inch coils that will blow with 1000 watts rms of clean power when they claim 1500 watts rms.

But they also have cheap 2 layer 3 inch coils with tiny gauge windings so when you tear it apart and look at it your like wtf is this crap.. LOL

4 inch voice coil on a 1200 rms sub? seems kind of overkill to me. I wonder if you could recone it with better suspension parts for way more power handling, may be something to look into.

Just because its a 4inch coil doesnt mean it has to be some 3000+ watt rms woofer.

The material of the windings, the gauge of the windings, the style of the windings, how many layers of the windings are actually far more important to the wattage rating (along with the motor cooling) than just the size alone.

You have cheap Lanzar subs with 3 inch coils that will blow with 1000 watts rms of clean power when they claim 1500 watts rms.

But they also have cheap 2 layer 3 inch coils with tiny gauge windings so when you tear it apart and look at it your like wtf is this crap.. LOL

That is true, i was thinking more along the lines of reconing with DC lv6 soft parts, then you would know it could handle as much power as you could throw at it (within reason and limited by motor power of course). I just don't know if the clearances would match up being as the vc on the DC has a lot more winding than this one does.

why make a subwoofer designed this way into some freakish monster you won't know 100% the outcome? I mean they put alot of work/engineering/design behind their products... I guess someone with money/time/shyt ton of knowledge might be able to do something but count me out...

That is true, i was thinking more along the lines of reconing with DC lv6 soft parts, then you would know it could handle as much power as you could throw at it (within reason and limited by motor power of course). I just don't know if the clearances would match up being as the vc on the DC has a lot more winding than this one does.

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

why make a subwoofer designed this way into some freakish monster you won't know 100% the outcome? I mean they put alot of work/engineering/design behind their products... I guess someone with money/time/shyt ton of knowledge might be able to do something but count me out...

Because you can't gain the knowledge without trying it and learning what the outcome would actually be. Most of the car audio knowledge i've gained is from trying it and seeing what the outcome is, or from extremely knowledgeable people who have done the same. Now granted you are right that it would take a lot of time and money to only have a chance that it works, but isn't that the point of the scene we are in? Gaining all the knowledge and experience we can and having fun doing it. Personally i love car audio because there is no end to the things you can see and learn.

Archived