Second Skin Audio

stereo integrity DS4 ?????

Bayuk89

That is true, i was thinking more along the lines of reconing with DC lv6 soft parts, then you would know it could handle as much power as you could throw at it (within reason and limited by motor power of course). I just don't know if the clearances would match up being as the vc on the DC has a lot more winding than this one does.

It most likely wont fit..

Not only does winding height matter, so does the inner and outer dimensions of the voice coil.

Then you need to be sure that the gap in the motor will allow said dimensions.

Even if the coil would fit the inner and outer dimensions of the gap you then have to worry about the gap depth which for sure wouldnt be anywhere near deep enough judging by the height of the motor compared to a level 6.

Moving on lets say all the above fits but now you run into the next problem.

The dimensions of where the spiders and cone are glued to the coil are wrong, even if both speakers are using the same size and style basket along with the same size spider landing you can run into issues with where the actual voice coil windings are sitting inside the gap. Simply put the height of the voice coil is found by multiple things and having 2 different thickness top plate is going to drastically change the height of where the coil sits.

The voice coil wind height, top place thickness, gap depth, spider landing height, and spacers between the magnet and basket all play a roll and need to be measured to get the proper height of the coil.

Just putting Brand A's dropin recone into Brand B's magnet/basket and the recone is not glued up with the proper measurements can cause many issues such as limited excursion, coil jumping the gap, coil bottoming out, a real peaky sounding woofer, etc.

Building a custom woofer with various brands parts is not as easy as ordering a dropin recone and installing it. Almost always you need the parts all separate and you need to glue them up according to the dimensions you take from the motor and basket.

Also it is worth noting that just because Brand A woofer says 4 inch coil and Brand B says 4 inch coil, doesnt mean both are the same 4 inch coil. Some companies may round up a 3.8 inch coil and say it is 4 inch, while another company may round down and call a 4.1 inch coil a 4 inch coil. Same can be said with 2 inch coils, 2.5 inch coils, 3 inch coils, etc. Coil size is a rather loosely used or generic term.

As for it being a home theater sub, thats mostly all that Stereo Integrity has been doing now for the past few years seems like since Obsidian Audio was no more.

There is really nothing wrong with using a car sub in a house or a house sub in the car (granted the car audio woofer may not play low as low as some may desire and be efficient doing it).

The DS4 seems to have a rather soft suspension and that maybe part of the reason of the power rating on the sub.

So the short run is to prolly keep my SA-18's ? I know the SA-18's are a proven sub to be pretty decent, found quite a bit of support on the internet forums and parts avalibility.

Not so much for the SI DS4..... it just caught my eye on the 4" coil and Xmax verse what i have.

So the short run is to prolly keep my SA-18's ? I know the SA-18's are a proven sub to be pretty decent, found quite a bit of support on the internet forums and parts avalibility.

Not so much for the SI DS4..... it just caught my eye on the 4" coil and Xmax verse what i have.

If you want to know more about it.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2206417-stereo-integrity-ds4-18-a-11.html#/topics/2206417?_k=hq45mm

Si has a great reputation, and makes great products.

That being said you need more power not new subs.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Si has a great reputation, and makes great products.

That being said you need more power not new subs.

Just wished they didn't discontinued the OAs could use 2 more v3s just so my 2500 could do work...got it wired at 4 ohms right now lol...shit still bangs tho....time for new subs that can take some powa....still got the other 2500 chillin...

Im pretty sure sundown bought out stereo integrity, not saying sundown and SI are the same speakers but the SA-18 and the HT 18 (look) very similar in build.

Broke audio, yes my current build i need more power for my SA-18's

Im pretty sure sundown bought out stereo integrity, not saying sundown and SI are the same speakers but the SA-18 and the HT 18 (look) very similar in build.

Broke audio, yes my current build i need more power for my SA-18's

The owners of both companies are good friends.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived