does anyone have a link or directions on how to use an o-scope to see if the amplifier is clipping. I want my equipment to last. Please and thank you for anyone and everyones time.

Most amp repair shops will have an o-scope. Its the easiest way to actually see when you amp or input signal is clipping.

Otherwise, it is probably not cost effective to buy an oscilloscope just to set the gains on your amp.

Edited by sonic purity

n2caraudio.com

that people on this forum still say "my gain is half way turned up" i might be taking this the wrong way but, to me that sound slike your amp is tuned incorectly. we here at SMD are a huge knowledge bass and just about any of us guys who have been in car audio can tell you to use a DMM and a test tone. there is even a guy (sorry i have a horrible memory) that will give you a chart to tell you how to do it.

sorry for the crab sessio but this just bugs me to no end.

Yah spelled bass wrong in that context " knowledge base " , ohh, and incorectly is actually spelled incorrectly ...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :ph34r:

could. not. resist.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

Guest MegaloManiac
people have there own personal taste but a DMM is the right way. there is not a human being on earth that can tell voltage but looking at a dial

Well I did mine by ear. Only reason was because I am not listening anywhere near the rated power of the amp, so whats the point of the meter for me(I do own one, I also own a clamp too, it be nice to have an oscope too)? I just needed enough power to blend my front stage(which is maybe only 300 watts if i had to guess). But yes I agree I am no human multimeter. Myabe Ray is just doing exactly what I did...

10 steps ahead of you. my step dad is a electrical engineer. i use both. people laugh when it takes me like 2 minutes to set a amp for them and it it alot cleaner. 9 times out of 10 the problem is the bazz boost is set way to high and they are clipping with out even knowing it

my amp has a clip indicator on it :P and so far im loving the shit outta it!!!!!!!

was playing with the gain this morning and well, when the light would flash, i would know i was clipping the sub, so i set it a little under where i wasnt clipping.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

if you know what your listening for when setting your gain by ear i dont see a problem with it at all. im pretty sure he knows what he is doing

Noah set mine by ear :) andy has a Dmm but i looked at it and would have no clue where to set it and what the numbers mean...to be honest... someone needs to make a write up on how to use a dmm fyi

WITH POP UP PICTURES PLEEASE!!!! :blush:

Edited by 99GPGTX

Currently:

2015 Evo X WW

Forgestar F14 18s --Rally Armour Mudflaps

ETS 3.5" FMIC, CAI, Open Dump DownPipe, Test Pipe, Ultimate Racing Catback, BLEVINS TUNE, Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers

Build:

Crescendo Mezzos x2

Crescendo 800.4, 1500.1

Loaded Fi Q12

Second Skin Pro

XS D5100

RF 360.2

Sky High Audio Wiring

Need: ALTERNATOR!

PREVIOUS

1999 Grand Prix GTX

3.8L S/C-few modsWheels: Ruff Racing 280 19x8.5 Sub: Fully Loaded

12" Fi BTL Amps: Autotek MM3000.1d Sundown SAX-100.4HU/Tweets/mids:

Alpine D310 + H701, TBI HDSS tweets, Mpyr audio 65m x4extra sheit:

knukonceptz 0, 4, rcas, speaker wire EA 200amp alt HC 2400

TEAM DEADLY HERTZ!!

Financial Consultant- Charles Schwab

My question is what if you are running under 1 ohm? How would you use a DMM to set an amp like that.????

Shit, good question.

Probably just use an o-scope or set by ear.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo