Big 3 Upgrade, gone wrong..

starter should be grounded to the block by bolting it to block. hot wire should pretty much come straight from battery more or less. Now, if OP replaced factory batt to chassis ground and did something wrong, that might cause an issue.

starter should be grounded to the block by bolting it to block. hot wire should pretty much come straight from battery more or less. Now, if OP replaced factory batt to chassis ground and did something wrong, that might cause an issue.

im down with that....... im with ya

There is nothing a big 3 done wrong could do to make a starter drive come apart. It didn't just quit, but made a bunch of noise. At most it could prevent it from working due to a bad connection. It worked for days and then quit? I would put the big 3 back in and continue with the upgrades.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

But that "exploding" sound from the starter kept getting worse till the point where it wouldnt even crank. Ill admit that my car before the big 3 seemed like it had a bit of a problem starting, but it sounded more along the lines of not enough juice in the battery, but the starter sounded weak. After the big 3, it got more powerful and easier to turn on, few cranks and the engine is on. Faster than normal, but I noticed the car starter got louder. Yeah, it was running fine for a few days and then my starter croaked over, each day I noticed the starter to become louder. Does that sound like the starter was already dying? The first time i replaced a starter in this car was 3 yrs ago.

But that "exploding" sound from the starter kept getting worse till the point where it wouldnt even crank. Ill admit that my car before the big 3 seemed like it had a bit of a problem starting, but it sounded more along the lines of not enough juice in the battery, but the starter sounded weak. After the big 3, it got more powerful and easier to turn on, few cranks and the engine is on. Faster than normal, but I noticed the car starter got louder. Yeah, it was running fine for a few days and then my starter croaked over, each day I noticed the starter to become louder. Does that sound like the starter was already dying? The first time i replaced a starter in this car was 3 yrs ago.

why would adding wire hurt the starter? .... thats like adding quad inputs to a amp, and thinking it burned up because you fed it to much.

I don't know what you heard but your new starter should have a warranty regardless.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I'm thinking the same thing, just trying to give as much detail. Understand that for me it's scary because I put the big 3 in and then my starter takes a shit on me, and so it causes me to be paranoid. Just wanted to know if my starter failure was completely unrelated to my big 3 upgrade. I understand that all I was doing is providing less resistance.

My Big 3 is alternator positive to battery, ground engine block, and ground to frame. I'd say it was unrelated. The vehicle is 11 yrs old. Expect for things to start failing.

I'm going to take out the wire from positive alt to battery in my 2014 CX-5 Diesel.

The positive post on the alt was red hot, burning, yesterday night.

No luck.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

@notorious97200 what happened?

So my mechanic looked at the starter and said that the gears pretty much blew off, not allowing it to start my car and its not my wiring.. lol. I was banging my system without the big 3 and i fried the alt.... thought i could get away with an audiopipe 1500 on stock electrical but guess not.... what a few fuckin days.. i also saw crowbar marks on my trunk.. i got a feeling its my neighbors cause i dont bump it in my block. so im just gonna retire the accord from car audio for a while... sucks.. im an idiot... i should've known better

Archived