IKnowImLost224 Posted August 16, 2016 Report Posted August 16, 2016 Setup will consist of: 2 12" Eminent Audio EA2000's ran at 1 ohm 1 SAZ-3500 V2 Stock alt Big 3 done with 4/0 welding wire One run of 4 awg, one run of 1/0 from front to a HC3800 Kinetik in the trunk Current box design idea is: 14 X 36 X 22 (max dimensions) (1) 6" aero X 11" With woofer displacement and bracing I'm at about 4.4 cu ft net Around 28.26 in^2 port area 6.35 port area per foot. I was told to go with a single 6" aero, but was told by someone else my port area was wayyyy too small and should try 8x15. I'm not very good when it comes to figuring out what port area I need so any help would be greatly appreciated!
mothra Posted August 16, 2016 Report Posted August 16, 2016 that's plenty of port area for that size enclosure and power. if nothing changes, nothing changes You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know
bman8891 Posted August 16, 2016 Report Posted August 16, 2016 I disagree. Im running 2 xl12's and a saz3500 with one 6" aero and have a ton of port noise. Most people here will tell you you want as much port area as possible
Krakin Posted August 16, 2016 Report Posted August 16, 2016 If they have anything less than 7 mm of xmax and are tuned less than 36 hertz you'll be okay. I doubt they have that low of an xmax. And port area per foot doesn't mean shit. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
mothra Posted August 16, 2016 Report Posted August 16, 2016 I disagree. Im running 2 xl12's and a saz3500 with one 6" aero and have a ton of port noise. Most people here will tell you you want as much port area as possible i just saw saz3500. that is not enough port area. you'll need at least 2 4" aero ports but that still might not be enough. if nothing changes, nothing changes You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know
Triticum Agricolam Posted August 16, 2016 Report Posted August 16, 2016 i just saw saz3500. that is not enough port area. you'll need at least 2 4" aero ports but that still might not be enough. Two 4" ports is even less port area than one 6" port is, you are sending him in the wrong direction. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
reedal Posted August 16, 2016 Report Posted August 16, 2016 Two 6" aeros or a single 8" for two 12's on that power. The two 6" will be greater port area, but the single 8" should provide better efficiency. A single 6" is not enough. Just remember that as port area increases, so does the length of the port in order to maintain the same tuning. So it may end up being more beneficial for a slot port instead, depending on your enclosure design and how many bends the port(s) would need. SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
IKnowImLost224 Posted August 16, 2016 Author Report Posted August 16, 2016 I would do a slot but I don't have the space to do that and have enough net volume.
Triticum Agricolam Posted August 16, 2016 Report Posted August 16, 2016 Setup will consist of: 2 12" Eminent Audio EA2000's ran at 1 ohm 1 SAZ-3500 V2 Stock alt Big 3 done with 4/0 welding wire One run of 4 awg, one run of 1/0 from front to a HC3800 Kinetik in the trunk Current box design idea is: 14 X 36 X 22 (max dimensions) (1) 6" aero X 11" With woofer displacement and bracing I'm at about 4.4 cu ft net Around 28.26 in^2 port area 6.35 port area per foot. I was told to go with a single 6" aero, but was told by someone else my port area was wayyyy too small and should try 8x15. I'm not very good when it comes to figuring out what port area I need so any help would be greatly appreciated! The person you talked to is right, your port area is wayyyy too small. The goal with port area is to keep port velocity low enough that it doesn't negatively affect performance. Some situations make this easier/harder to do than others. I like to keep port velocity below 22-24 m/sec, above that you start to lose output to port compression. Above 30 m/sec its really starts to get ugly. In your case you will need roughly 80 sq in to keep port velocity under 30 m/sec. If you can make that amount of port area work with the space you have available, that would be great. Otherwise do the best you can. Design compromises are a fact of life in car audio. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
IKnowImLost224 Posted August 17, 2016 Author Report Posted August 17, 2016 So I tried fitting a cardboard box with those "max dimensions"... Well, my max is apparently smaller than I thought lol
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.