Sundown Audio

What dB do YOU use on ur DD-1 ? (Poll question)

Bayuk89

Thought about post in tools and testing devices but DD-1 is used on amplifers so i felt posting here was relevant.... here we go !

I have my front stage Audison tuned using -5 dB tone pushing my cheap RF prime 6x9's if i had better quality speakers i would prolly tune at -7.5

My twisted sounds 2.8k is tuned using -2.5 for two reasons

1) my box for my (2) SA-18's was built when i had my rockville 1500 watt amp, i built the box about 1.5f^3 over recommended size due to lower powered amp, so my box being too big on now double RMS i tune the gain lower so it doesnt put out too much power (help with cone control)

2) i have a 136 amp ALT and two batteries, on modified songs with long bass notes in the 27-32 range my voltage will dip down to the low 12's at full tilt, tuned at -2.5 i can play those songs at full tilt and only drop to mid 12's

Once i build a new box around 8.5-9.0 cubes (verse my current 10.5 cube box) and upgrade to a 240 amp alt (or get a 160 amp alt out of a 99-02 durango RT) i can retune to -5 or -7.5 dB and it will be safer to play on that tune IMO

****** Any input or opinions on how i tuned or thoughts on my choice tuning, feel free to comment *******

So what dB track are u using on your sound stage and sub amp ?

Depends on set up for me. My RF T2500-1bdcp's on 4 RF T2 15" I could go -15 track but mainly stuck to -10

2 FI SP4 15" depending on what amp I was using the sweet spot was about -7.5 I had gone -10 but it was a bit much, and -5 left room for improvement. (2 SQ 3500D @ 1 ohm each, 1 DD M4a @0.5 ohm, 1 RF T2500-1bdcp @0.5 ohm, 2 RF T2500-1bdcp @ 1.0 ohm each, 2 Crescendo 3500's @ 1.0 ohm each, 2 DC 5k @ 1.0 ohm each although not so much this set up as it was too much)

Currently I figured my go to was -7.5 but it seemed a bit much. Currently am at -5.5 on 12 FI X series on 2 DC 5.0K's @ 0.67 each. I now use the DD-1+ so I can pick inbetween numbers for overlap. I also use the PAC-LC1 so I could have just left it at -7.5 and only turned it all the way up at shows but I knew I would turn it all the way up all the time anyway so...

My electrical has ALWAYS been solid too FTW

mids/highs I stick to 0 db track, although right now I am trying out -1.0 but these specific speakers are for loud. when I finish my door panels I will use 0 db track and still have gain under where it can be for clarity of NO distortion hopefully ever.

Keep in mind I pay close attention to what music quality I am playing through my set up at all times. I do try all different types of music also to know if the track will work out ok or not.

As I am finding -5 is most often pretty safe and a good balance of loud but also easy on voice coils. -7.5 is pushing it a little unless you know your set up and have gains set conservative and possibly something else aftermarket like a PAC-LC1 to continue to make adjustments, also you don't listen to only chopped/screwed/boosted/distortion filled music. So many thing CAN* play a role though, i bet some people can get away with -10 for years.... IDK

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Thanks for the input, through readings i find people generally tune -2.5 to -5 on sound stages and between -5 -7.5 and -10 on sub stages. I know its all on bases and wont be the same from system to system. Wish i spent the extra $$ on a DD-1+1 but i will get one a later date if i sell my normal DD-1

Even at -2.5 on my sub amp i handed out a 147.5 sealed up. I need to clamp my Ts 2.8k to get an idea of how much watts im putting out on a burp at -2.5 -5 and -7.5 dB

I hear if you tune -0 dB on voice or sub amp you wont have much "power" behind it -2.5 to -5 is considered conservative to some...

For mids/highs i just don't want to blow tweeters and such. I would rather get amps with head room, tune to 0 and only MAYBE lose a little volume if anything but have it sound clear and have everything last a long time. just me though.

yea, I had DD1 for 3 years, sold it and got the DD-1+

For substage yea, at 0 there was so little output for me, -5 was night and day difference.

A lot of people switch for demo's/shows and such, but be careful, lol

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

-15dB

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Archived