Second Skin Audio

started the down-firing box for my Silverado

CorNut

I got a 2016 crew cab Silverado, so far I've installed a JBL MS-2 DSP, I currently have the speakers running off its built in amp. I have a 5-channel amp (Soundstream) I plan to install once I finish the box. For anybody that's interested in tracking the progress, it'll be a long process so I'll warn you now. I work and go to school, both full time and I have many hobbies besides this one. This is more of a hobby I work on when I'm stuck at home and with it being summer, I won't be working on it much.

I installed some 6.5" Kappa separates up front and 6.5" kappa coax's in the back. The Sub is an RE Audio SL12d4 and the amp is a Soundstream TN5.950D nano. I'm not going crazy with the build but I'd like to think it's decent quality stuff considering what I have to work with. I'm limited with space to mount the DSP and amp behind the seat on top of the small selection of subs that'll fit under my back seat.

ker.jpg

Nice start.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I motivated myself to work on it a bit today. I cut it down so it'd fit since initially it was too tall. I also cut the openings so the sub can be 1.5" off the floor. I planned on finishing the framing today but apparently I don't have any screws. There's a chance this sub will be too tall so I may end up having to use a 10" but I'm going to do my best to pull it off. I'm hoping I can recess the back of the box enough for the magnet while not having it be uncomfortable for whoever's sitting there. It's just loose carpet/no framing under the seat where the sub is going so I'd say 50/50 shot it'll fit. I'd prefer the 12" but I'll still be happy even if I can only get a 10" in there. Ignore the mess of wires with the DSP, I intentionally left excess wires when I installed it so I can cut them down to size when I install/decide how to orient the amp with it behind the seat. This is a work in progress but I assure you the end result will be nice and clean.

Once I finish the build I'll have my local stereo shop carpet it. I checked prices and I can only get it by the roll, with shipping it's about the same cost as having somebody else do it and I'm sure they can do a better job than me anyway. This way I can look at all the different colors they have and compare which matches my interior best in-person too. I can't wait to have this thing finished, it already sounds great with the speakers and DSP.

ker2.jpg

ker3.jpg

I went into Jo-Ann fabrics to check and I found no actual carpet at my location, the things I found don't seem very durable. I'd love to do it myself but it seems to be $40-50 to order the carpet or the same to have a local shop do it and I don't have to store/dispose the leftovers. I'll look more into locating some carpet as I get closer to that stage, I'd rather put the finishing touches on the project myself, especially if it doesn't cost me $50 for $5 worth of carpet.

So everything I've done so far has been with 5/8" mdf. I need to get another sheet (new to kerfing, I wasted a lot before getting it right). I'm trying to decide if I should use 3/4" mdf for the larger face/back of the box. This will be a shallow mount sub, ported, with not a lot of power to it. Airspace is at a premium with this build and I can't decide if the rigidity or extra air volume will be more beneficial in this case. If I don't get any responses this weekend I'll just flip a coin and roll with it.

You are probably fine with 5/8 material. I'd just add a brace or two between the sub mounting surface and the opposing panel.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived