Internet disconnect help

Yea, i used to pay $29.95/month for "High speed cable internet" and it worked great! Then I went DSL for a few years, then when i came back to high speed cable it's $50/month but that was like 5 years ago now and since then just inflation has made it $70/month. Pisses me off really bad but our options are limited up here where i live in MN. I used to just let it go since it was reliable but now that it's not I am seriously considering switching, bad part is the other place is expensive also and makes you sign a 2 yr. contract....I am kind of hosed. need to figure out if I can fix current problem before I go provider jumping....

oh and 1 more thing...I am jealous.......I don't even know what internet that fast would be like.......

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call your provider and tell them you are having issues without going into too much detail of the problem and that you want a new modem, preferably a motorola surfboard modem in it's place.

Just say your having connection issues.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Sorry I can't help. I have Verizon FiOS. If I have a problem, I can call them and they look at the modem while I am on the phone. Book marking this.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Call your provider Karkov, the report shows a major problem with your line. 100ms-215ms ping on your first hop is not a issue on your end. No need to change any settings on your end. Could be a amplifier or noise filter causing issues but either way its something they will have to fix for you.

It's not showing packet loss because his modem doesnt respond to ICMP, a setting he most likely cannot change...

Approved modems for mediacom if you dont want to rent...

http://www.approvedmodems.com/mediacom.html

Under Construction

I had this same issue with my internet through the local cable company. They gave me a new modem and a new ethernet cord. No more issues.

The cord probably fixed it. Lol the cat rating is only good if the bends are not tighter than a certain radius. What the effect is exactly I don't know.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Call your provider Karkov, the report shows a major problem with your line. 100ms-215ms ping on your first hop is not a issue on your end. No need to change any settings on your end. Could be a amplifier or noise filter causing issues but either way its something they will have to fix for you.

It's not showing packet loss because his modem doesnt respond to ICMP, a setting he most likely cannot change...

Which of those would you recommend?

I had this same issue with my internet through the local cable company. They gave me a new modem and a new ethernet cord. No more issues.

wow nice!!!! Hoping it's an easy fix like that. I'll have to call them on a weekday.

thanks everyone for ALL the replies!!!!!!

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

I am at a complete loss why would you guys recommend any changes until you have found the issue with his connection? Troubleshooting is a process and making changes before you find the issue is pointless.

No one is telling him to change anything but his DNS, and to possibly get a VPN which is a great tool when you have internet that gives you data caps.

Changing your DNS server to something other than your ISPs provider is ALWAYS something wise to due since the google DNS server is going to be way faster and allow you to load a site a bit quicker, and it is more reliable. I know the default charter dns server use to go out once a week and would cause me to loose connection to the internet because it could not turn google.com in the actual ip address.

We have already asked a couple times if his modem lights go out when doing this, and he has never even looked yet to see if that is happening.

I should add, when i do pingtest.net my packet loss won't even complete because it's so horrible and i always get an F

As for PingTest not showing packet loss if you click next to it why it doesnt show your packet loss, or read below when you do the test it says it needs Java and your computer does not have it installed, or your firewall is blocking it.

Mine says the same thing.

154251282.png

Which of those would you recommend?

The top one on the list, they are some of the better modems out there.

Arris / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

The 2nd one down the list is for if your using telephone services through the cable (it will work without the telephone service as well), but not needed.

The 3rd motorolla has a built in wireless router, never was a fan of these all in one modem and wireless router units.

The last one thats a Cisco is good too, but has a slower speed limit, not that it really matters to you or most of us in any case since its well above speeds giving from most ISPs

Archived