Second Skin Audio

pullin my hair out

quick65

hello all.

what is the best scenario for a newer Tahoe? I have two sundown x-18" drivers. would it typically be better to face the drivers and the port towards the rear hatch? or subs up and port back? also, sundown suggests 120" of port area per sub at their 1500 watt rms rating. i'm feeding them double their rms using an scv6000 at 1 ohm. so I would need a box with a port area of 240" to house them both in? that question might sound self explanatory, but I can't picture anyone using say a 480" port when running four 18's for example. what design would you do? I have 48w X 25h x 26d to work with.

1965 ford POS mustang.

pioneer deh-p9300 to fill the hole in the dash.

2015 chevy tahoe.

pioneer dex-p99rs, focal krx2 power 3 ways, sundown custom 18's, sundown scv6kw, zapco ag360, tru s4. 28" dub's

wow, 76 views and not a single suggestion? hmmmm.

1965 ford POS mustang.

2015 chevy tahoe.

pioneer dex-p99rs, focal krx2 power 3 ways, sundown custom 18's, sundown scv6kw, zapco ag360, tru s4. 28" dub's

wow, 76 views and not a single suggestion? hmmmm.

Not everyone can answer your question. Would you rather have 76 posts from people who might not know what their talking about or not get bad info at all?

Edit: Chill out and someone will answer, and if you are impatient, build it and find out yourself.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

My only suggestion is to use the search function and start reading. That's part of the learning process.

There is also this thing called Google that you can type in what your looking for and Bam!! lots of info for

reading and researching.

Not trying to be a smart ass its just some of the questions asked around here have been asked 100 times.

Good luck.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

My only suggestion is to use the search function and start reading. That's part of the learning process.

There is also this thing called Google that you can type in what your looking for and Bam!! lots of info for

reading and researching.

Not trying to be a smart ass its just some of the questions asked around here have been asked 100 times.

Good luck.

True, could go to the enclosure section and search for tahoe posts.

I will preface this since I have never built a box for a tahoe/suburban, from what I have seen from competitors/friends/whatever when doing that style SUV, subs up, port back has worked well musically and possibly on the meter (not 100% there on the meter). In my experience with 18's, you could go down to about 85 sqin of port per without issues, any smaller and I dont know. I would put them in 12 cubes with about 170-190 sqin of port tuned to about 35, and see what happens. You could always make the port removable to try bigger/smaller ports.

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/

I have already tirelessly searched the smd forum using "Tahoe" and "18's" as parameters, but am still thirsty for opinions. I've already built the spec'd enclosure on the sundown site, it doesn't really suggest which surface to mount the subs to so I faced the port back and mounted the subs facing up. the resultant force was pretty disturbing on the roof, but more so on the quarter panels. I mean they flexed like 2" out. I thought the Tahoe was going to turn into a volkswagon beetle before the song ended. then I tried a fourth order with 5 ft sealed and 10 ft ported at 45hz. not musical at all, but burped wonderfully. the current set up I'm using is a c pillar wall. solved the quarter panel and headliner flex(well, I added lots of expanding foam too) , but it is -3db down from the sundown sub up, port back enclosure. that's where this comes in. I was going to remake the sundown box and was thinking of mounting the subs and port facing back. I searched the forums but it seems that most of the builds have all of the subs facing up. *caveat* most boxes that have the subs facing upwards in tahoes are usually utilizing 3 or more drivers, and therefore have no choice to go subs up because you can't fit more than two 18's across facing backwards. hence my question.

1965 ford POS mustang.

2015 chevy tahoe.

Chances are that if you didn't like subs up port back because it was too hard on the truck, then subs back port back will be the same and even worse for the back door. As far as the wall goes, I would find a way to make it work. What is the enclosure volume and port volume? Maybe some pictures would help too.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

2 sundown 18" x's yeah those will put in work my 15s broke two clips in my dash the second winter they had been through

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

I have already tirelessly searched the smd forum using "Tahoe" and "18's" as parameters, but am still thirsty for opinions. I've already built the spec'd enclosure on the sundown site, it doesn't really suggest which surface to mount the subs to so I faced the port back and mounted the subs facing up. the resultant force was pretty disturbing on the roof, but more so on the quarter panels. I mean they flexed like 2" out. I thought the Tahoe was going to turn into a volkswagon beetle before the song ended. then I tried a fourth order with 5 ft sealed and 10 ft ported at 45hz. not musical at all, but burped wonderfully. the current set up I'm using is a c pillar wall. solved the quarter panel and headliner flex(well, I added lots of expanding foam too) , but it is -3db down from the sundown sub up, port back enclosure. that's where this comes in. I was going to remake the sundown box and was thinking of mounting the subs and port facing back. I searched the forums but it seems that most of the builds have all of the subs facing up. *caveat* most boxes that have the subs facing upwards in tahoes are usually utilizing 3 or more drivers, and therefore have no choice to go subs up because you can't fit more than two 18's across facing backwards. hence my question.

I would still do subs up, port back and do what you gotta do to fix the rattles/flex.

i've began building a subs up port back unit. 10ft net at 32.44hz with 176in of port area and 17.47in per foot. i would have liked to use more net volume, like 14ft net, but the area just doesn't allow for it. currently the box will be 25 tall, 26 deep, and 48 wide. port is 23.5" wide x 7.5" tall x 21.75" deep sharing one common wall.

1965 ford POS mustang.

2015 chevy tahoe.

Archived