Fuse for big 3

My alt I ordered is 275amp 300 peak what size fuse do I need when installing big 3?

this is my first build, i have been waiting 4-5 years to have this done

95 chevy 2 door tahoe 5.7

Xs power d3400

Singer 275amp alternator

Big 3 - all Knukonceptz Kolossus Fleks 0ga/ knu Fuses an holders

Sundown SAE-1500d

Mbquart onyx OA800.4

Stinger 4400 series RCAs and stinger volt meter

Fi Q NEO 18, 7.5 cubes tuned 32hz

Pioneer MVH-X690BS H/U

Kicker CSS 6.5 comp sets in front doors

Kicker KSC 4x10 coaxials in rear

GTMAT and FAT MAT deadner

Xenon 10k Blue HIDs

I just noticed in the how to video in the electrical thread in the pined instructions he did

Xs power d3400

Singer 275amp alternator

Sundown SAE-1500d

Mbquart onyx OA800.4

Pioneer MVH-X690BS H/U

Xenon 10k Blue HIDs

Fuse for wire size/awg. Here's a great post someone made about it.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/1005-wirefuse-guide/?fromsearch=1

So depending what size ur doing ur big3 with, that will tell u what size fuse to use. Ive never seen any vids of someone fusing the wire between alt and FRONT battery. Usually they're fusing near the battery for the wire run that goes to the back of the vehicle for amps/distro block. Or in my case my stock battery is in the trunk, thats a long run of wire so i would fuse the wire between alt and battery, and fuse near the alt. But with a FRONT battery, i dont think its needed becuase its such a short run of wire.

You will get 50/50 for whether to do it or not to. As in, half do, and half don't.

Do it if you want to be safe and error proof. The choice is 100% yours. But also no one here will be responsible for your car starting on fire, lol.

<_<

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

So depending what size ur doing ur big3 with, that will tell u what size fuse to use. Ive never seen any vids of someone fusing the wire between alt and FRONT battery. Usually they're fusing near the battery for the wire run that goes to the back of the vehicle for amps/distro block. Or in my case my stock battery is in the trunk, thats a long run of wire so i would fuse the wire between alt and battery, and fuse near the alt. But with a FRONT battery, i dont think its needed becuase its such a short run of wire.

I thought the fuse size was based more on the power source not the wire size? As in you don't base your fuse size off your wire but your amp for example so now I'm talking about to amps off my alternator (300amp peak) I would assume 300 amp fuse???

Xs power d3400

Singer 275amp alternator

Sundown SAE-1500d

Mbquart onyx OA800.4

Pioneer MVH-X690BS H/U

Xenon 10k Blue HIDs

I have a fuse from Alt positive to my battery positive ~_~

I have a fuse for every wire I have within 18 [???] inches of my battery positive (front and back batteries)

Here's an OLD 2012 picture of my old electrical setup with the big 4. Make sure you sand down all the paint from your car frames before bolting your wire on. You want to make sure that your connection is in contact with metal and not paint :)

thebig4.jpg

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

I do not fuse the run from the alt to the battery but i do take precautions with the wire, i will wire loom and use techflex over top of that, and then route the wire along the firewall or the radiator support away from the engine and exhaust. You would be surprised at how many people try to use less wire and run it right over the engine and when a fire starts, they wonder why their car burnt to the ground.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I thought the fuse size was based more on the power source not the wire size? As in you don't base your fuse size off your wire but your amp for example so now I'm talking about to amps off my alternator (300amp peak) I would assume 300 amp fuse???

You fuse to protect the wire so fuse to what current the wire can handle. If you have an alternator that puts out 300A you could potentially pop a 300A fuse if you have steady 300A of current. And if you pop a fuse going from the alternator to the battery you aren't going to make it far down the road before you have too low if voltage.

Did u check out that link i posted? Think about it like this. If your using 4awg....would u fuse it at 300, or even 150? If you did, ur actual wire could melt and catch fire before that fuse blows, no point there for a 300amp fuse. Because a 4awg wire is generally rated to be able to handle 140amps, so to be safe you'd fuse it at 125 or even a lil lower.

But if u have 1/0 awg wire, which can handle 350amps. You'd be fine with a 300 amp fuse because its just under the rated power of the wire and the fuse would blow before the wire catches fire and save you from that danger.

You cant fuse bigger than ur wire can handle, there'd be no point in the fuse because the whole length of the wire would burn before the fuse ever could. Everything needs to be equally prepared for each step of the electrical. If u have X amount of power , you need X size wire. If you have X size wire, u need X size fuse. If you have X amount of electrical draw, you need X amount of power. So if one of those X's are changed you should make sure every other X is accounted for and neccisary changes are made.

Archived