Second Skin Audio

Port Ratio

JR Yonts

The port area is too small on the middle one. As far as the shape, I'm not sure if they would sound any different. The square port might be more efficient I don't know.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

What vehicle is this going in and what amp are you going to be running?  Input power is going to be a big factor is how much port area you need.  

3 common wall slot ports are the easiest to build and help strengthen the box.  As long the port aspect ratio won't be over 1:5 that would be my suggestion. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

17 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

What vehicle is this going in and what amp are you going to be running?  Input power is going to be a big factor is how much port area you need.  

3 common wall slot ports are the easiest to build and help strengthen the box.  As long the port aspect ratio won't be over 1:5 that would be my suggestion. 

Their going in a 300zx with 1200 watts rms. I was just wondering if a square port would sound better than a rectangular port. The box is going to be similar to this.....

flores.jpg

52 minutes ago, JR Yonts said:

Their going in a 300zx with 1200 watts rms. I was just wondering if a square port would sound better than a rectangular port. The box is going to be similar to this.....

As long as the port is sufficiently sized and the aspect ratio doesn't get above 1:5, they are all going to sound the same.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

20 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

As long as the port is sufficiently sized and the aspect ratio doesn't get above 1:5, they are all going to sound the same.

Trit, when you exceed that aspect ratio, are you more likely to have port noise/chuffing? Curious why that ratio is important.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

3 hours ago, mcanderson0 said:

Trit, when you exceed that aspect ratio, are you more likely to have port noise/chuffing? Curious why that ratio is important.

Yeah port noise/chuffing is part of the reason.  High aspect ratio ports have a higher amount of internal surface area than a lower aspect ratio port does.  This increases air resistance which can lead to port noise along with port compression.  Its bad. 

Builds:

3 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Yeah port noise/chuffing is part of the reason.  High aspect ratio ports have a higher amount of internal surface area than a lower aspect ratio port does.  This increases air resistance which can lead to port noise along with port compression.  Its bad. 

Can an increased port area make up for a higher ratio?

Archived