Two dual 4ohm or 2ohm

06RTCharger

Ok im about to order all my speakers. I need some help from the SQ crowd here. For my subs, im getting two 15's. I have the choice of D4 or D2, BUT i havent locked in an amp or amps yet. Im going to be shooting for an 8ohm final load, if i get two D4 subs....id have to run them to individual channels right? Because i cant wire a pair of dual 4ohm subs together and get a final load of 8ohms. Its either wire down parallel for 1ohm final, or series/parallel for 4ohm final. I dont even see diagrams for wiring them series together for 16ohm, i guess thats not common or maybe unsafe idk. 

With the D2 subs i could wire in series together for an 8ohm load into one channel. 

So its either two D4 subs on separate channels/amps for 8ohm, or two D2 subs wired series togther for 8ohm. 

So my question is which way is more suited for a SQ build? In my simple thinking, the D2 is being wired much farther from its original state of 2ohm, its going from 2ohm to 4ohm to 8ohm. The D4 just goes  4ohm to 8ohm, just one series wiring. So thinking the less series wiring done, the better??? Or would it all be EXACTLY the same as long as the final loads are 8ohm. I dont mean just the same for your ears, i mean scientifically and on paper is it the same. Becuase if its the same id go with the D2 for the small difference it has over the D4 which is the xmax, the D2 had 1mm more total xmax than the D4. Id want that extra mm tho lol as long as it isnt stepping in the wrong direction.

Shead some light on this for me SQ guys, two D4s on individual channels/amps, or Two D2s in series on one channel/amp, when 8ohm load is the goal. Thanks everyone

Not sure why you want 8ohm load, but wiring a single sub's coils in series won't help SQ.  Also, (2) 15's may not be the best choice for SQ.  

IIRC, you have a 2DR Tahoe?  The last true full size blazer, right?  Wait, lemme guess, 06 Charger RT? LOL

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

I think hes wishing on some LP amps that make power at 8ohm

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

1 hour ago, mcanderson0 said:

Not sure why you want 8ohm load, but wiring a single sub's coils in series won't help SQ.  Also, (2) 15's may not be the best choice for SQ.  

IIRC, you have a 2DR Tahoe?  The last true full size blazer, right?  Wait, lemme guess, 06 Charger RT? LOL

The plan is IB, not a ported enclosure. With IB ive been told having more cone area and good xmax will help keep your output decent. yes names my car lol

1 minute ago, boomintahoe said:

8 ohm? Is this car audio or home audio?!

Until you know what amps to get, I wouldn't get the subs yet until you know the impedance your after.....which will determine final ohm load.

Car audio, IB substage. I feel i should wait till i get the sub amp also but ive been emailing the supplier and i have a quote setup and if i buy all the speakers at once they will ship for free. Being that i live in Hawaii.....thats a great deal. Shipping tweets, midrange,midbass and 2subs would cost a pretty penny to ship all the way here. So im going to order it all at once.

Im just wondering which ones would be more SQ efficent? Ill work around the sub setup to find the right amp. 

Infinite Baffle?? For a few 15's that'd be waste.

Nobody does IB anymore....that so 90's now.

You want SQ, going with a single sub and either a reallly good ported enclosure tuned just right, not too low or too high or a sealed enclosure.

11 minutes ago, boomintahoe said:

Infinite Baffle?? For a few 15's that'd be waste.

Nobody does IB anymore....that so 90's now.

You want SQ, going with a single sub and either a reallly good ported enclosure tuned just right, not too low or too high or a sealed enclosure.

Lol ok thanks for ur input. 

Archived