How much Sag is too much for Trunk Camry?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bmwking said:

Hmm. That one has no Amazon reviews. My budget is $150 but I'm afraid to use something with no reviews because there are so many China stuff out there that could kill me :(

This guy's got stuck:

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

2 minutes ago, moh.vze.com said:

Hmm. That one has no Amazon reviews. My budget is $150 but I'm afraid to use something with no reviews because there are so many China stuff out there that could kill me :(

how much does a shop want to swap the springs?  its what, a 97 camry?  any basic shop should be able to handle it, just call around and see how much to install customer owned springs.  unless you do a lot of strut and suspension jobs in your garage, you wont really need to purchase the tools to do it.  thats my advice.  also, like the other guy said, you could always see what the local auto parts guys have available to rent, they may have a stand up one, that'll run you like $50 and then just take it back when youre done.

Shops here charge about 50 to 60 a part in labor. So like 100 to 120 for both sides. Or u could rent a tool from an auto parts store.

16 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Shops here charge about 50 to 60 a part in labor. So like 100 to 120 for both sides. Or u could rent a tool from an auto parts store.

I was trying to find one from Autozone rent a tool website but they only had the cheapo ones and not the hydraulic compressors.

Thoughts on these?:

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6494-Clamshell-Spring-Compressor/dp/B0002SRHU6

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

I bought this from amazon for about $25 and it work great. Swapped all my springs over myself.

IMG_0208_zpsncp7ftb1.jpg

Now i was using lowering springs and not heavy duty springs but the tool worked well.

Your nearest auto parts store should rent tools for a refundable deposit.

There are coils spring boosters out there too. Mr Gasket are the cheapest i found at about $20 each. A company called LongAcre has boosters made of polyurethane with different weight values and coil sizes. They run about $40+ each. I bought some of each to try they out. I have about 400 lbs in my Lancer trunk  and i have yet to put all the equipment back in since i just redid the suspension on the entire car and i am wanting to change up the sub soon.

With rear springs you could just disconnect your shocks and possibly control arm to allow the control arm to move enough to put the spring in and take out without a compressor.

It was what i did with just a stock spring change but should work equally as well in your situation as long as you can have enough weight in the car to prevent it from lifting up and you reattach the control arm to the trailing arm.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

1 hour ago, Skullz said:

With rear springs you could just disconnect your shocks and possibly control arm to allow the control arm to move enough to put the spring in and take out without a compressor.

It was what i did with just a stock spring change but should work equally as well in your situation as long as you can have enough weight in the car to prevent it from lifting up and you reattach the control arm to the trailing arm.

I am replacing the stock struts with new ones and need to assemble the entire strut + coil + mount unit

Rent the tool at the parts store and take it back when you're done.

They should have a few different options, and you get all the money back when you return it.

You can't beat free.......

Be very careful and read all the insturctions before using the tool, an accident with spring compressors will potentially end your life.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived