Second Skin Audio

18Sound Eighteen vs Sundown Fifteen

If im not mistake Patrick is a woofer nerd. This should be a head to head of some sort with all kinds of scientific data behind it and a bunch of shit I don't understand

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Saw one on YouTube it looks like a concert speaker handles 30-3000hz

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

4 minutes ago, n8ball2013 said:

If im not mistake Patrick is a woofer nerd. This should be a head to head of some sort with all kinds of scientific data behind it and a bunch of shit I don't understand

accurate lol

i've been thinking about competing in the SPL scene and I can't figure out if I should use a car audio woofer or a prosound woofer

nQZr3gn.jpg

Here's the frequency response and excursion of each woofer. They're receiving 3,600 watts into a 4ohm load, or 7,200 watts into an 8ohm load. (120volts)

I guess I should've realized this before I ran the sims, but their output is basically dictated by the power handling, since the cone isn't moving at the tuning frequency.

Therefore, the winning driver will be the one that handles the most power. Bonus points if it fits into a small box (because that allows you to run more woofers.)

Thanks for humoring me, this seems to indicate that the ideal woofer for an SPL box will have low VAS, extremely high power handling. XMAX and displacement aren't hugely important because the cone isn't moving at the tuning frequency.

Therefore, you'll want the following parameters:

1) as much power handling as you can possibly find
2) low VAS
3) the most efficient port you can find

I'm going to start poring over the catalogs to see what fits that bill...

Due to Hoffman's Iron Law, the maximum output of the sims is virtually identical. But I have a hunch that "in the real world", the array of four tens will win. Here's why:

1) The four tens have four 2.6" voice coils. That's equivalent to a single 5.2" voice coil, significantly larger than than the 3" voice coil of the Sundown.
2) Though the Sundown has 25% more excursion, the array of four Alpines have 83% more cone area. So the Alpine array has more displacement.
3) The Alpine is in a transmission line. That's why the bandwidth is wider. Also, the TL has a larger mouth than the port of the Sundown box. Due to the larger mouth, it should have less power compression.
4) The retail price of the Alpines is $520 for four, a little bit less than the Sundown and a little bit more than the 18Sound.

Here's the excursion of the two.

Ha! That might help.

They're Alpine SWR-10D2.

Due to the vagaries of Internet pricing, they're now selling for the same price as the Type S woofers. (And the Type S woofers are quite a step down.)

I don't know why they're so cheap right now, but they are, and four of them will give you more displacement than a Sundown fifteen for less money.

I disagree with the coil sizing. Just because 4 little ones maybe equivalent to 1 larger sized coil doesn't make them better.
The 3 inch sundown coil is made in the usa at precision econowind (which are some of the best coils you can get), the tiny type r coils are generic china coils that will unwind as soon as you give them close to their rms power it seems.
While the sundown sub will be laughing at a 5krms amp, those type rs will be blown on 3krms or less (that is unless they are doing something completely different from what they use to).

not that I'm disagreeing with you.. but I'm going to ask have you given that model Alpine sub( SWR-10D2) rated and seen the coils "unwind" ?? :-P 

46 minutes ago, audiofanaticz said:

I disagree with the coil sizing. Just because 4 little ones maybe equivalent to 1 larger sized coil doesn't make them better.
The 3 inch sundown coil is made in the usa at precision econowind (which are some of the best coils you can get), the tiny type r coils are generic china coils that will unwind as soon as you give them close to their rms power it seems.
While the sundown sub will be laughing at a 5krms amp, those type rs will be blown on 3krms or less (that is unless they are doing something completely different from what they use to).

In for results from OP ...lmao

(FYI) been at the bar for 5hrs so don't hold this post against me

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

I think I still have 4 hanging on my garage ceiling, and another 2 in my garage attic.

A old friend that was also a competitor that owns his own shop use to run 4 in a 4dr geo metro powered off 2 Orion HCCA D2400 amps (they are 1200wrms by 1 @1ohm each, (2400 peak each)). almost every other burp subs would fail.
So 2400rms between 4 subs before impedance rise that got played for shirt 4 second burps.

Maybe they did drastic changes to them to make them stronger besides a .1 inch "oversized" voice coil, however if they are even cheaper priced now like the OP said, I cant imagine quality increasing a whole hell of a lot if any at all.

Archived