4” components???

Calrider76

Question about 4” components, 1st off they seem hard to find and second when you do they are pretty spendy. I have an old 90 Toyota x can that I’m trying not to hack the door panels and use the stock dash location and put a set of 4” mids in useing a passive x over and wire the tweet in somewhere near. I have 6.5 punch components in the rear but need more sound up front. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated. I would like to tune at least 50w rms to each one. Looked at Audiofrog but they have mixed reviews and not cheap.

On 11/29/2017 at 10:16 AM, Calrider76 said:

Thanks, I just scooped it out but looks like they are all 2 way unless I missed something. Was trying to get separates

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-midrange/

can look at the midrange and fullrange 4" speakers. It will require you to know what crossover point you want and what tweeters you are running.

Morel and Focal are $$$ but good quality.  You can get 90% of the sound for 90% less cost with other components from Madisound or Parts Express, though.  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

• 1 month later...

I got a set of Focal 4" Comps for about $250 for a A-Pillar build in the wife's Malibu i haven't completed yet but bench test them against other 4" driver and they sound amazing. Cross over is some of that cost but worth it.

I did do a budget build in my daughters vehicle and they sounded amazing too. For the prices of $25 each.

IMG_2713_zpsfzam5k40.jpg

Bench testing speakers, Top to bottom: JBL 4" 2-way. Faital Pro 4" driver, 5.25" CT sounds comp w/ Twt.

IMG_2738_zpsj854zvpx.jpg

I did a ton of fabbing to get this location to sound as good as possible. Added wood, sound deadening & acoustic foam to get the max SQ from these Faital Pro's.

IMG_2762_zpsw7txt9ve.jpg

CT Sounds 5.25 in kick panels. Plays just mid-bass.

IMG_2766_zpskryhgffi.jpg

Tweeter on dash.

First system playing with 4" mid-range and i really enjoyed the challenge of making it all work and sound good. I think i spent $400 on the entire build but it a full range system w/ 2 RF prime amp, front stage, rear stage and 2 12" in the back. New Agm battery, Big 3, 4 AWG runs to amps.

IMG_2698_zpspklyadmf.jpg

IMG_2697_zpsf8obzjun.jpg

All 4" speakers i tested. upper left is the Faital Pro i used. Has  a super clean sound and can play @ 120 easy, even lower but i had the 5.25 taking car of that down to 80 hz. There was some over lap of the two drivers.

IMG_2677_zpscmo7guml.jpg

The RF 6.5 & JBL 4"  and the 3Sixty didn't make it into her build. 

IMG_2699_zpsrkupcmtd.jpg

I spent hours listening to all these different speakers figuring what sounded best. Focal and Faital Pro hands down. Focal are for the wife's build but had fun testing them and very happy with there performance, just stalled out on getting them in.

IMG_2685_zpsw1l0vr6z.jpg

Picked these up last winter off Ebay for $35. Some CT blow out sail. Decent speakers but the cross-over is shit IMO.

IMG_2694_zpsnyvz02qt.jpg

Right to left: CT sounds, Focal, RF T1 6.5 x-over,  I did a lot testing and the RF sounded the best for the CT twt and Faital Pro 4" driver. Ran the 5.25 active on rear ch of the RF Prime 250x4.

I didn't which driver would work until i had the Vehicle apart. I did install some P142 in the rear. Sound deadening & foamed of rear HU power for rear fill.

IMG_2726_zpsmwxo239q.jpg

These had to be tuned to about 200 hz to sound good. Wasn't worth the effort i put into it.

IMG_2728_zpsoiaffypk.jpg

IMG_2718_zpsbi624vvw.jpg

RF amp under front seats. Wood spacers painted under each amp keep them cool and of the floor.

IMG_2765_zps2velmnvg.jpg

Make for a clean install too.

IMG_2764_zps1esfy26z.jpg

Subs donated by her brother. He was the original owner. And he threw in the Prime 1000 putting out 500 watts to these older P2 12's.

IMG_2616_zpsi3oxbhfu.jpg

All in this.... Daughter first ride.

IMG_2653_zps9dyigiji.jpg

And of course the big 3, Good AGM, OFC wiring, RF distribution block. System set with DD-1 and tuned by me. Best low budget system i have ever built. I had a lot of time in research and fabricating with this install but out of pocket was $400. New HU, 4 ch RF amp, wiring, & speakers.

Archived