Sonic Electronix

Hooking up two identical mono blocks into a single dual coil subwoofer

Hey out there. When I search for my title anywhere, I get some mixed results. People saying "go for it" and people saying "you probably don't have experience to do so".

What would it require to do what I want? I have 1x dual coil 2 ohm subwoofer and 2x JBL GTR-1001 amplifiers. They cannot be bridged, so I figured I would put them to good use on one subwoofer.

How much does it take to hook up the two amplifiers to the two coils? I read that the gains and power delivery has to be the exact same, which makes sense.

Thanks!

all you need to do is gain match the amps so that they output the same, and make sure the filters are exactly the same.

20 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

I personally hate strapping, id gain match all day, every day. 

curious to hear why you prefer gain matching. what are the benefits of gain matching vs strapping?

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

5 hours ago, mortenmoulder said:

Awesome - thanks a lot! What would happen if the gains were different? I assume I would hear distortion, but could it damage the subwoofer?

If off by a little, you probably will never notice it, and it probably would never lead to damage.

But, just set the gain, and match the other one to it, and set the filters to the same as well.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

1 hour ago, icedragoneer said:

yes if you gain match you can use 2 amps but i wld suggest you take it to a shop so they can match the wattage outputs cause even tho the amps are rated the same the wattage will be different from amp to amp 

While all true, a simple DMM on the output of one amp, set at desired output, noting voltage and Then adjusting the second to that number with the DMM again, is simple and easy. Takes about 2 minutes , while drinking a few beers, and passing a splif arpund even. 

3 hours ago, Mr DeeBeez said:

curious to hear why you prefer gain matching. what are the benefits of gain matching vs strapping?

Tis a personal preference bro ham.  I've heard more nightmare stories of strapping than any yield of good results. I've always like a amp per driver, and gain matching. 

Archived