Made my own SMD VM-1 (for educational purpose)

Hi everyone. Let me start by saying I am in no way trying to steal damore's design or anything, it was just a fun project for me over winter break. I have always wanted one of their meters but, being a college student it was always a bit too much to spend on a voltmeter. Yes, I know it is a very good voltmeter, but one that is slower does the same thing, but it is just so cool. 

Anyway, I made my own version of them. Not being able to find any documentation asides from what was provided on damore's website, I went to designing it. I decided on the Atmega328p microcontroller. I believe the SMD one uses something similar, but I'm not sure as I've never seen one in person (well I have but not the circuit side of it). All in all, it took about 2 weeks from start to finish until I got it working the way I wanted. I also made a temperature one as well ?. One main difference on mine vs. the SMD is that the SMD one has a response time from one end to the other of 130ms, whereas mine is 180ms (but I can make it match). 

Pics/vids: <link removed>

I will for sure be buying the actual SMD meters when I can :)

Very cool

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Damn thats pretty badass. Does urs go counter clockwise? When u start ur car looks like it goes clockwise because the red lights are at the far right. Should try next to make some like the vu-din ones(i think thats the name). Those just had more of a line of lights so it kinna looks like a RPM needle bouncing back and forth around the meter. Found a pic.

8D7F8035-20EC-408F-9BE4-25B5D5D51AD9.thumb.png.13a78f199b192c1a2a39b9a019750934.png

Would be cool to have the smd single meters with this style of lights, the gauge cluster meter similarity just looks good. But the regular smd ones look dooe too, reason i bought i couple and plan on getting a couple more. 

6 hours ago, biscuitownz said:

thanks everyone. i designed the board and had the pcb made.

awesome. Did you use eagle by autodesk? I have some playing around in that to do. And what service made your board? Ive been looking for a good source. 

7 hours ago, bsneon98 said:

awesome. Did you use eagle by autodesk? I have some playing around in that to do. And what service made your board? Ive been looking for a good source. 

I did not, I used easyeda which is a website based pcb designer. It's pretty good for what it is. I use elecrow for my PCBs. They usually throw in a couple extra boards for free and quality has always been good ?

10 hours ago, 06RTCharger said:

Damn thats pretty badass. Does urs go counter clockwise? When u start ur car looks like it goes clockwise because the red lights are at the far right. Should try next to make some like the vu-din ones(i think thats the name). Those just had more of a line of lights so it kinna looks like a RPM needle bouncing back and forth around the meter. Found a pic.

Would be cool to have the smd single meters with this style of lights, the gauge cluster meter similarity just looks good. But the regular smd ones look dooe too, reason i bought i couple and plan on getting a couple more. 

They go clockwise, the one with the red leds on the right is the temperature meter ?. I actually have the circuit for the VU one made, but I want to build a test circuit to see if it works as expected before I order the pcb. 

Archived