Second Skin Audio

12 inch p3 box

bigtinybob

looking for a box for my p3   I'm only running around 500 watts to it,,Rockford recommends 1.8 cu.ft  ...my box that I had my alpine in was 2 cu.ft or so they said when I bought it but I calculated the box and I'm only getting 1.68 inside the box....I really don't need a big name box or looks...also does the sub need to stay  above the slot port  cause the magnet is almost touching the back of the box,well maybe a inch or so ...

IMG_2287.jpg01.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg03.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg02.jpg

with the driver basically being in the port mouth, that can affect tuning.  not sure how much, but it can.  Personally i'd like to see the sub on the other end of the box so it had a rear reflecting wall before exiting out of the port.  but, i have no science behind this so enjoy your single grain of salt :)

That kinda the give and take out subs, Hard to have the best of both worlds. Its why the question is always asked when designing  a enclosure what type of music people listen to. Plus all music isn't recorded the same. Lots of variables. If its a prefab store bought box it's kinda the way it is. Best you can do is make another box with different tuning frequency's. Sub stage is one of the hardest aspects of car audio. Thats why you see guys on here building and rebuilding to get what they want. I have RF 8" P3SD's in my kick panels for mid bass that i have found to help the front stage some. Running 2 10's tuned to 34 on 2k and still constantly tuning to get it right.

We feel your pain man. 

For what its worth, I listen to nothing but metal/rock and have never liked the way a ported box sounds for that genre of music. Just my opinion, but I prefer the way a sealed enclosure sounds for metal music. Might consider building a sealed box. My $0.02

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

RF Power T1000 BDCP

RF Punch 400-4

2 P2D4 12's

Archived