Second Skin Audio

12 inch p3 box

bigtinybob

16 hours ago, bigtinybob said:

just seams like it doesn't hit certain notes with it more less rock music ,my alpine hit the notes good but not the p3.heavy bass music it does good but I was thinking the box wasn't tuned right for it....I wanna say the box is 40 or maybe 38

Is the woofer brand new? Have you tried to eq it?

post up your enclosure dimensions (wood thickness,external width/top & bottom height/top & bottom length,port width/height & length) post them up and im sure somebody will help you. 

im at work right now  but if i remember the sizes right it was 13 h  36 length   11 wide on bottom and 9 wide on top    port was 24 long and 2 3/4 wide using 3/4 mdf...ive never liked a seaded box so im pretty much opt that out...the woofer is about 3 weeks old maybe less ....i have fooled with the eq setting and all on the radio plus amp....i really just think its my box

3 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

That kinda the give and take out subs, Hard to have the best of both worlds. Its why the question is always asked when designing  a enclosure what type of music people listen to. Plus all music isn't recorded the same. Lots of variables. If its a prefab store bought box it's kinda the way it is. Best you can do is make another box with different tuning frequency's. Sub stage is one of the hardest aspects of car audio. Thats why you see guys on here building and rebuilding to get what they want. I have RF 8" P3SD's in my kick panels for mid bass that i have found to help the front stage some. Running 2 10's tuned to 34 on 2k and still constantly tuning to get it right.

We feel your pain man. 

i bought it at a car audio shop local but i dont remember the spec on the tune or size  and didnt realize the sub was that close to the back of the box ,,ive always did round ports so this is my first slot port    most importantly im just worried about damaging the sub and it being behind the port  

49 minutes ago, bigtinybob said:

i bought it at a car audio shop local but i dont remember the spec on the tune or size  and didnt realize the sub was that close to the back of the box ,,ive always did round ports so this is my first slot port    most importantly im just worried about damaging the sub and it being behind the port  

I don't think your going to damage the sub, and it still in the break in stage, its only going to sound better over time. How did you set you set the gains? And what frequency is you LFP set at? I forgot what amp your running.. You usually wand the sub at the other end of the box like mentioned before. What was the selling point the shop gave you to get this box? Is it behind the seat of a truck or in a cargo area. So many factors play into it. I ran P2 12's in the RF factory box and they sounded good. 10 yrs old and i put them in my daughter Sidekick off a R1000.1 getting 500 watts and they still sounded good. Played with P3's in a sealed box and they slammed on 500 watts. Then moved up a single T1 on 1k in the wifes Malibu and that sub really sounds good. Custom box from a design off SMD i made. They normally hit a wide variety of frequency well so it just might be a box issue. 

1 hour ago, bmwking said:

definitely the box.  i have it showing as 1.24 cu ft tuned to 48hz

Sorry didn't see what you came up with.... Yep the box sucks... First box i put the T1 in i built myself and fuck up on the precision ports and ended up with a tuning close to that. Got a Joe X design and that sub slams!   

9 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

I don't think your going to damage the sub, and it still in the break in stage, its only going to sound better over time. How did you set you set the gains? And what frequency is you LFP set at? I forgot what amp your running.. You usually wand the sub at the other end of the box like mentioned before. What was the selling point the shop gave you to get this box? Is it behind the seat of a truck or in a cargo area. So many factors play into it. I ran P2 12's in the RF factory box and they sounded good. 10 yrs old and i put them in my daughter Sidekick off a R1000.1 getting 500 watts and they still sounded good. Played with P3's in a sealed box and they slammed on 500 watts. Then moved up a single T1 on 1k in the wifes Malibu and that sub really sounds good. Custom box from a design off SMD i made. They normally hit a wide variety of frequency well so it just might be a box issue. 

my lpf is set between 65-80 cause anything over that and it sounds awful   like really tight bass.and my cd player lpf is at 63 for the same reason...my amp is the mrv-m500 alpine and I kinda set my gains from my ears and it not past the normal setting.  I bought the box for my explorer I had before my sentra cause of the 3rd roll seat,it fit perfect in it....ans imeasured my box when I got home this morning and it  34L  13H   7 deep and 11 deep   port is  2 3/8 wide and 23 long   3/4 mdf

Have you tried setting LPF of HU between 80-100? If its at 63 hz then your playing that frequency and down loosing out on upper tones. What sounded good in the Explorer with that box wouldn't be the same in the Sentra. It the nature of car audio, SUV's typically sound better IMO.  The box is tuned to high, you should look and a box design that would fit in your trunk for that sub and you will see the difference between the 2 and understand what that sub needs to perform best.

good luck. 

Archived