Second Skin Audio

electrical question (impedance ect.)

BMS

Ive got an electrical question. So lets say i have a dual 4 ohm subwoofer rated at 1000 watt rms. lets say i wire it at 2 ohm (2 coils in parallel). I=√(p/r). (I=√(1000/2) (22.4=√(500)) With no box rise at 2 ohm 1000 watt i draw 22.4 amps (11.2 per coil). Now lets say I wire it to 8 ohms (2 coils in series) at 1000w without box rise i draw 11.2 amps (6.1 per coil) (I=√(1000/8) (11.2=√125)). Ok so half the current and twice the voltage same wattage ohms law ect. So if i have half the current why cant my coil now handle more wattage? if the current isn't there to burn up the voice coil??? I assume there is some kind of (law) that applies to resistors to explain this but i dont know what it is.

I think the issue is that when you wire at 2 ohms your amp will put out 1000 watts as stated but when you wire to 8 ohms your amp will put out less watts.

Also consider that the amplifier is getting DC but outputs AC to the speakers by producing a voltage where the wattage is a result of the impedance on the speaker and voltage.

5 hours ago, BMS said:

Ive got an electrical question. So lets say i have a dual 4 ohm subwoofer rated at 1000 watt rms. lets say i wire it at 2 ohm (2 coils in parallel). I=√(p/r). (I=√(1000/2) (22.4=√(500)) With no box rise at 2 ohm 1000 watt i draw 22.4 amps (11.2 per coil). Now lets say I wire it to 8 ohms (2 coils in series) at 1000w without box rise i draw 11.2 amps (6.1 per coil) (I=√(1000/8) (11.2=√125)). Ok so half the current and twice the voltage same wattage ohms law ect. So if i have half the current why cant my coil now handle more wattage? if the current isn't there to burn up the voice coil??? I assume there is some kind of (law) that applies to resistors to explain this but i dont know what it is.

I think where you went wrong is when you have your coils wired in series the 11.2 amps doesn't get divided between them.  Since they are in series the 11.2 amp is flowing through both of them (the same as when they are wired in parallel), so it isn't half the current, its the same current. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The bigger problem with this way of thinking is that basic ohm's law doesnt apply here.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

you conflating 2 things that are not true to gather your information. 1 your speaker's voice coil is not a resistor it's an inductor which means that opposes changes in current flow. a resistor opposes current flow. 2 wattage is work performed, it's not static it's dynamic which in this case produces movement and heat. 

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

14 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

I think where you went wrong is when you have your coils wired in series the 11.2 amps doesn't get divided between them.  Since they are in series the 11.2 amp is flowing through both of them (the same as when they are wired in parallel), so it isn't half the current, its the same current. 

Oh your right Thank you.

Archived