Headunit wont turn on anymore

3 hours ago, lightfoot said:

since you still have 12v constant power behind the headunit, you can tie the red (switched ignition) wire from your headunit  to the yellow and see if yourt headunit powers up. no need to remove it from the vehicle.

Like a jumper, good idea, thanks.

3 hours ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

Check the ground wire on the HU too.  That wire is way too tiny...  I don't know why Pioneer chose to use such crappy wire.

The ground should be good, it has continuity. And on the p99rs the ground and power is bigger than most headunits. I soldered 14awg to the headunits ground wire and ran it directly to the battery.

2 hours ago, bmwking said:

dont pioneers have a tiny fuse somewhere too that has been known to go out?  i dont really know, but i recall hearing something about that somewhere

U mean inside the unit??? There are two fuses along the pioneer harness. They were both good. If its one inside the unit, idk if id be willing to open it up like that lol. Hipefully its something simpler. Might have time to try some of these ideas after i get off work tonigt.

38 minutes ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

The fuse would be on the back of the unit, adjacent to the harness connector.  Micro blade fuse, if I am not mistaken.

Ill check for somthing along the back of the HU. Maybe it'll be in the manual also, ill check when i get off work. Thanks

Does anyone also know if this was caused because of me trying to start the car without any grounds at all connectsd to the battery? Because thats when it shut off. It turned on for a second, i guess because the battery still had a lil juice then all the lights went off. The car didnt actually crank over or make any engine noises like it even tried to start. Only the gauge cluster area turned on for a second. 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the pico fuse in pioneer HUs is in-line with the RCA preouts, and will blow if there is a short in the RCA, and typically happens when someone pulls the RCA connection from the amp or HU with the HU powered on. And unless the 99RS has some sort of protection built in to cause it not to power on when that fuse is blown (which I doubt because none of their HUs are like that), then the pico fuse is not the issue.

like others have stated, best bet is to bench test it with a standalone battery for power and ground. You can jump a hot 12v wire to the accessory wire for testing purposes to ensure the HU turns on like it’s supposed to. 

Reedal is correct, thats why you never hot swap RCA cables, and similar issues will even happen on other brands, and even if it blew, the radio would still function normally but would have a lot of whining coming out the speakers.

If the factory radio harness has 12v constant, switched, and ground there is really no need to pull the deck out since power coming through the vehicle will be no different than power coming from bench testing, however the only way you will know if the issue is in the car is to pull it out and bench test it. Though a headunit will ground through a vehicle antenna if that is plugged in.

physically looking at fuses is never good enough to say they are fine, ive seen fuse blow that look perfect yet, so using a dmm is your best bet on a continuity setting.

2 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

Reedal is correct, thats why you never hot swap RCA cables, and similar issues will even happen on other brands, and even if it blew, the radio would still function normally but would have a lot of whining coming out the speakers.

If the factory radio harness has 12v constant, switched, and ground there is really no need to pull the deck out since power coming through the vehicle will be no different than power coming from bench testing, however the only way you will know if the issue is in the car is to pull it out and bench test it. Though a headunit will ground through a vehicle antenna if that is plugged in.

physically looking at fuses is never good enough to say they are fine, ive seen fuse blow that look perfect yet, so using a dmm is your best bet on a continuity setting.

Dont have the antenna hooked up. Not sure how to check ground, i just used a continuity test on my dmm and all the grounds beeped. I first tried to test it for voltage but it wouldnt read voltage on any ground. I guess becuase ur probe is going ground to ground right? That makes no voltage. 

I continuity tested the small one and just visually inspeacted the other because it was hard to get to, but ill pull it and test it tonight just to be sure.

thanks

Archived