Sonic Electronix

Hey guys!

So I've been busy shopping some batteries and cables for my setup, so when the car is not running I'd be still capable of powering my setup fine.
I bought some KnuKonceptz OFC 1/0 gauge wire, and ended up with two AGM batteries that I purchased used, but still in fine condition. (one 95 AH , and one 105AH)

In order to get the max out of them I strapped the two together in hopes to get the sweet 200AH I was looking for based on this online calculator: 
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/calculator-sizing-a-battery-to-a-load.html

When I set everything up, and tuned the amp, there came the big moment, to clamp test everything.
I was suprised, but I only got around 800 RMS, on test tone. 

As far as amps go I got myself a Hifonics Brutus BRX 2016.1D, and a pair of Rockford Fosgate P3 D4 subs.
The reason why I wrote down everything this meticulously, is because I wold like to know what could went wrong with my little test.

According to my calculations I shold easily get 1000 RMS, with this particular choice of equipment.
The batteries are capable of producing this kind of power, the wiring is overkill for 1k I think, the amp is rated at 2kw and even if half is true it is still 1kw, the subs are CEA-2031 rated and knowing Fosgate they are up to the task, I got the 200A fuse as recomended by the manual of the sub, so I don't know what could cause this power drop.

What do you guys think can be the cause of the problem?
Any thoughts wold be useful! ??

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need an alt charging your batts to keep voltage up. Are you the guy that was running stuff in his house connected to a battery charger? Also hifonics amps are shown to not quite put out rated unless its on dynamic testing. How do you know your putting out 800 watts?

I know that I need the alternator to charge the batteries, but I wold use them as "second batteries" just for powering the amps, when the motor is off.

I was assuming that you mean connected to an XS power battery. :D

I know that I got 800, by clamp test, as I mentioned it above.

Hifonics is not the best brand out there, but I read a lot of positive reviews about it, and decided to buy one since it was one of the last new ones I could find online.

47 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Also hifonics amps are shown to not quite put out rated unless its on dynamic testing.

Most of those Hifonics amps are rated at MAX too by the way. I just looked the OP's up and that's how that one is rated. 800 watts sounds about right for a 2000W Hifonics amp.

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Incriminator Lethal Injection 12"

No i mean connected to a battery charger. Youll never get rated without an alt or serious batt bank like steve or big d wiz has and even then its only for bursts or very short test runs. Dont run your equipment on just the batts. Without something to keep them charged properly they can drop super low in voltage and can damage your batts and your equipment.

1 minute ago, twalker182 said:

Most of those Hifonics amps are rated at MAX too by the way. I just looked the OP's up and that's how that one is rated. 800 watts sounds about right for a 2000W Hifonics amp.

Im aware of hifonics amps and hifonics practices as a company. His complaint i beleive was y didnt it do 1000 watts. Im pretty sure hes running this amp off of batts in his home or garage with lil to no charging. Hifonics brutus amps have been proven on the smd dyno to do a lil under rated on test tones and rated to over on dynamic. But with no charging system and 12v batts his starting voltage at best is 12.6 volts meaning hes probly dropping to 10 volts or more with a draw on. Hell never see close to rated and can ruin his gear.

So okay I got your arguments, but first let me say, that I based my amp purchase on amp dyno videos, and also on posotive feedbacs about the power this amp got. Secondly I am charging my batteries, at least 3 times a week, to keep them fresh, with a dedicated AGM 3 step charger, that has an auto power off, so I think it is not that. And also if the problem is with my voltage drop, than how come I can not even hit 1k on burst after charging the batteries? 

What I can think of is maybe it is a problem with my tune. I honestly don`t know. 

And yes, my argument is the fact that I can not hit 1k on a 2k amp. :D

I think your expecting too much our of the hifo ics. Also some amps vary in quality so dyno tests are only good within marginal error. Just because a Dyno says the amp can deliver 1k doesn't mean your amp will put out 1k also. 

As another said without an alternator to keep your voltage of the batteries within optimal ranges the amp will see lower and lower voltage. As voltage lowers the power capabilities of the amp are limited, hence why some amps are rated at both 12.8 and 14.4 volts. That way you can see how the amp performs on good electrical and on poor electrical systems.

I know that amps are rated to give the rms power at around 14.4 volts. However I still do not understand why it is not capable to do half the rated power at 1ohm during a 15 second burst track. 

I calculated it with the online calculator I linked above, and after charge for the amount of given time, it should easily do around 1,8k based on the batteries capacity. And I calculated it with 12.4 volt that is not likely to happen after 15 secs on a charged up AGM battery.

Archived