Sonic Electronix

I did a search before posting and i'm sure this has been covered before but, I couldn't really find any results. I've been running a car audio system in my garage for a few years now, but it's never been quite the way I want it. Currently, I have a 1000w computer PSU running a 5 channel JL audio amp and supplying the turn on signal to the deck (which works great). The deck i'm running is a pioneer NEX unit, and I have it running off of a power point adapter I bought off amazon to keep the memory/constant to it. it works, but I get a lot of feedback through the speakers (feedback goes away once I disconnect RCA'S from the amp). I believe the feedback is due to the crappy power adapter on the deck, but the feedback isn't my main concern. realistically, i'd like to encase the head unit and PSU in box and run the head unit off of a battery with some sort of a trickle charger. My concern here, is overcharging the battery when not in use. Can anyone who obviously knows more about electrical than me, explain what I would need to run the deck off a battery and supply charge to the battery safely please. I'd really like to be able to make this set-up really clean and user friendly

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride.

since your headunit wont be doing any amplification it makes this a little easier..  If you have no plans of making this into a portable unit and want the battery to strictly be powering the stationary headunit, I'd say go with a small battery and a trickle charger.  as long as you're not going to be going full tilt on the radio for days on end you shouldnt have any issue with say something like this:

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_153337_Energie-ER1000-by-Reikken-MORE-POWERFUL-THAN-A-100-FARAD-CAPACITOR.html

and this for a trickle charger:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1538084299&sr=1-5&keywords=battery+tender

that's just my $0.02 tho.  there may be someone more knowledgeable that wants to say otherwise.

I have something very similar and find that with cheaper pwm regulated supplies & chargers, you'll usually end up with some type of high frequency noise upon charging. 

A good charger or choke filter between the charger and bank should help prevent this.

Just use a trickle charger like bmw pointed out, i do it the same way with a craftsman 2A.

This is just my opinion, but there is NO REASON to mess around with batteries and chargers in a home audio system.  At best they are inefficient and a needless expense, at worst they are Rube Goldberg fire hazard.  Just buy a home audio amp/receiver that has the features you want and you will be WAY ahead of the game.  They aren't expensive and there are all different kinds.  Tell me what you need it to do and I can give you recommendations.  If you want lots of watts for your sub get a Behringer PA amp, super cheap, lots of watts.  I have two and they work great.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

21 hours ago, bmwking said:

since your headunit wont be doing any amplification it makes this a little easier..  If you have no plans of making this into a portable unit and want the battery to strictly be powering the stationary headunit, I'd say go with a small battery and a trickle charger.  as long as you're not going to be going full tilt on the radio for days on end you shouldnt have any issue with say something like this:

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_153337_Energie-ER1000-by-Reikken-MORE-POWERFUL-THAN-A-100-FARAD-CAPACITOR.html

and this for a trickle charger:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1538084299&sr=1-5&keywords=battery+tender

that's just my $0.02 tho.  there may be someone more knowledgeable that wants to say otherwise.

20 hours ago, slowfkncar said:

I have something very similar and find that with cheaper pwm regulated supplies & chargers, you'll usually end up with some type of high frequency noise upon charging. 

A good charger or choke filter between the charger and bank should help prevent this.

Just use a trickle charger like bmw pointed out, i do it the same way with a craftsman 2A.

^^^ i've seen a couple cases where people have just used 12 volt adapters from old routers and things of that nature. I think I may just end up going that route. i had intended on this being portable at some point, but realistically for my uses. it's going to stay stationary.

20 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

This is just my opinion, but there is NO REASON to mess around with batteries and chargers in a home audio system.  At best they are inefficient and a needless expense, at worst they are Rube Goldberg fire hazard.  Just buy a home audio amp/receiver that has the features you want and you will be WAY ahead of the game.  They aren't expensive and there are all different kinds.  Tell me what you need it to do and I can give you recommendations.  If you want lots of watts for your sub get a Behringer PA amp, super cheap, lots of watts.  I have two and they work great.

I would go that route if it were indoors, but as I stated, i'm running this system in my garage so i'm keeping with the theme of car audio. plus the look on my friends faces when they see a car audio system hooked up outside of a car is pretty priceless

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride.

1 hour ago, KyleRhone said:

^^^ i've seen a couple cases where people have just used 12 volt adapters from old routers and things of that nature. I think I may just end up going that route. i had intended on this being portable at some point, but realistically for my uses. it's going to stay stationary.

I would go that route if it were indoors, but as I stated, i'm running this system in my garage so i'm keeping with the theme of car audio. plus the look on my friends faces when they see a car audio system hooked up outside of a car is pretty priceless

If portability is an issue, maybe throw it all in a box?  I dont think you can use a 12v 1a router adapter, voltage wont be high enough for charging & current will for sure not be enough to actually put any musical load on it.  This is what i did, i was forced to use some type of charger because its got 2 small agm's & a 600w 4ch. rps20180928_104946.thumb.jpg.a2ed9a7e823da4c1ed615b35b2a66991.jpg

Jesus.... lol... by a 30$ boom box and be done... lol good hell. I dont get the car audio in your garage thing at all lol. Hell, turn your cars gear on and work, if you dont have a 11$ boom box. lol. Or, get a DIAMONDBOXX and be way way done. Why,.. why are we wanted to even use car audio stuffs, out side of the car???? Is it because, "well, i dont have any spending money, and i have this" ?  Man, go to a thrift store, pull out a 20, and buy a monster boom box, plug it in, and all ALL your worries,..... are done. 

EDIT-  You have ZERO cash to spend ? (only reason, i can think, of why the hell, you go through ALL the issues and bullshit, to use your car audio gear, outside your car, can NOT think of a single other reason) Then, trade your car audio gear into a pawn shop, for a real boom box. Done. I just cant think, why you would go through the BS, to have a car stereo, sitting in your garage or whatever to listen to. I guess im lost as shit. 

22 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Im WAY WAY on your team here. I do NOT get these questions, when they are posted on the forum. 

"plus the look on my friends faces when they see a car audio system hooked up outside of a car is pretty priceless"

^^^^^ this, is either a look of "what the fuck are you doing" ,.. OR, someone that has no clue, thinks its kinda cool or whatever. A legit audiophile, or music lover, car audio lover, what have you, would just shake thier heads, and giggle a bit inside. 

I mean zero offence OP, and its your headahces, and money and time and shit, but...... I dunno.  I wish you the best of luck.

1 hour ago, Kyblack76 said:

Im WAY WAY on your team here. I do NOT get these questions, when they are posted on the forum. 

"plus the look on my friends faces when they see a car audio system hooked up outside of a car is pretty priceless"

^^^^^ this, is either a look of "what the fuck are you doing" ,.. OR, someone that has no clue, thinks its kinda cool or whatever. A legit audiophile, or music lover, car audio lover, what have you, would just shake thier heads, and giggle a bit inside. 

I mean zero offence OP, and its your headahces, and money and time and shit, but...... I dunno.  I wish you the best of luck.

it's not lack of money by any means. everything i'm using is extra equipment that I have not being used and it's for the fun of it. sure it's not practical but I enjoy playing... plus I can use it as a test bench of sorts when the situation requires.

2 hours ago, slowfkncar said:

If portability is an issue, maybe throw it all in a box?  I dont think you can use a 12v 1a router adapter, voltage wont be high enough for charging & current will for sure not be enough to actually put any musical load on it.  This is what i did, i was forced to use some type of charger because its got 2 small agm's & a 600w 4ch. rps20180928_104946.thumb.jpg.a2ed9a7e823da4c1ed615b35b2a66991.jpg

what did you end up using as a charger on this?

Archived