Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Sealed or ported?


aburger

Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, PC Principal said:

It depends on your taste I suppose. I listen to nothing but metal, so sealed is what does it for me. I dont care for the way ported boxes sound with metal. Just my $0.02

Yes, if you tune low you wile lose some of the higher freq punch you have in a flat/sealed setup. A lot of double bass drum stuff  is lacking on my system, except an old Mayhem recording I have that has really good recording on the kick drum and hits deep.

Posted

Wow, thanks to everyone for all the opinions. I listen to a wide range of music from Punk to the Hipity Hop and everything in between...except for Country, can't stand their whining. So I'm thinking for an all around performer, probably best to go ported. I can dial back the low end with the bass knob on the faster songs and crank it up when I want to get low. I do want to feel those kicks though!

Posted

@PC Principal @Bret I know what everyone likes is subjective but I love metal on my ported sub. Was just listening to BTBAM earlier and the drums sounded great. I'm tuned around 34.

I have just never been impressed with overall output when I ran sealed.

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Incriminator Lethal Injection 12"

Posted

Thanks twalker, that's the kind of confirmation I was looking for. Ported FTW!

Posted
2 hours ago, bsneon98 said:

my box does great with double bass kicks. I use this as one of my system test songs. between the drops and the kicks shit gets down lol 
 

 

Damn, love that!

Posted
3 hours ago, bsneon98 said:

my box does great with double bass kicks. I use this as one of my system test songs. between the drops and the kicks shit gets down lol 
 

 

I like the beat but the screams are more black metal type. I cant stand black metal.  Couldnt finish the song haha.   Im more of a cannibal corpse and nile typed feller

Posted

i probably suck at building boxes but, sealed will probably give you a wider range of options for a variety of music. building a ported box well that does everything you want can be challenging. lots of math and testing. as cheap as wood is, if you have the time, build both and see what you like.

Posted
17 minutes ago, strangeduck said:

i probably suck at building boxes but, sealed will probably give you a wider range of options for a variety of music. building a ported box well that does everything you want can be challenging. lots of math and testing. as cheap as wood is, if you have the time, build both and see what you like.

What are your thoughts on maybe a passive radiator box? Thats what im dieing in my truck as i have almost no room

Posted
Just now, ToNasty said:

What are your thoughts on maybe a passive radiator box? Thats what im dieing in my truck as i have almost no room

the only passive radiator i have ever heard was cerwin vega home audio speakers back in the 90's. they were amazing. hoestly i know very little about passive radiator other than adding weight to the passive to adjust tuning. a little about how the driver size can effect "port area" for lack of a better term.  I think its an awesome idea if it is done correctly though.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 505 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...