Battery charging

Your alternator maintains your battery. You can run as many batteries as you want on the alternator as long as you routinely charge your batteries with a charger. Each battery acts as a load on the alternator and will therefore leave less amps available for powering your electronics. This isn't a problem as long as you keep your batteries charged and won't destroy your alternator. 

Hmmm...so if I only had 3 batteries in a daily setup, is it still necessary to charge them with a charger? I currently have a d4800 and d3100. Strapping the DC 3.5k eventually, but I really only go full tilt on the hwy. Right now both bats are staying topped off nicely after a nice half hour drive of bumpin. 

I appreciate the responses! Totally forgot I posted this last week. 

At risk of possibly splitting hairs: An alternator isn't meant for charging batteries.

That being said, you have essentially 3 options for powering your system, depending on needs. All have pros/cons

1. Lots of alts / few batteries - lightest weight, most sensitive to 'overloading' as you're depending on your alts to supply power. Exceed alternator output and your voltage tanks.

2. Single alt / lots of batteries - sometimes a necessity depending on your vehicle.  Won't have 'good' voltage but it's adequate for short demos / burps / etc. Play time will be limited and you'll need to be cognizant of your alternator temperature. Avoid idle time here. Spin the alt up and get those fans working

3. Many alts / many batteries - high power stuff. Most expensive, also the most robust.

Archived