Second Skin Audio

Sub bottoming out?

15 minutes ago, CstrokerV said:

Lol what!!!!!!  You can’t set gains that way ... is it mechanical noise possibly but air leaking  sometimes sound like mechanical noise a torn spider or loose surround can sound similar also ...    o.p how did you set your gains to begin with?

And if it was an air leak or a torn spider it wouldn’t be making the mechanical noise just on one particular note in one particular song. It would make noises more often on more notes. You are the one that needs to be laughed at. Get real. Once he watches the videos he will see that once he sets his amp where I told him to then the problem will go away.  

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

1 hour ago, 121gigawatts said:

And if it was an air leak or a torn spider it wouldn’t be making the mechanical noise just on one particular note in one particular song. It would make noises more often on more notes. You are the one that needs to be laughed at. Get real. Once he watches the videos he will see that once he sets his amp where I told him to then the problem will go away.  

Not true I had a torn spider and only did it at certain frequencies.. and my friend had a loose surround and only did it at certain freq.... and you told him to put his gain somewhere  based on your amp and what 4v and 5v is that is laughable...  .. and the third  video is still wrong for setting gains  it’s explained in the comments and he acknowledged this  after he talked to tony ... 

im not saying turning down his gain won’t solve his problem like you said but you telling him that’s how you set gains without any tools is a load of crap.. he can have the exact same model and where his gain distorts can be different then yours pots can be finicky his input signal can be different 

There is a reason manufacturers don't put voltage markings around the gain knob, they usually say min and max. Even the same amps using the same source will have different gain positions to get a matched output. Telling someone to set it in a certain position based on preout voltage is dumb.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

So turning the gain down does indeed fix the issue, but I lose a tone of output. It makes the noise on the peaks of the song. Not on a specific frequency. Playing a test tone across 20hz-100hz yields no noise what so ever just clean bass. and from the front seat of the car you can't even hear the noise, only when your're next to the sub. An oscope was used 0dB at the headunit (Kenwood DDX26BT) and -10dB at the amp. turning down to -7.5dB has the same issue. -5dB sounds clean, but output isn't there. I'll check for air leaks next. I find it a little hard to believe a 750w RMS sub with 17mm if one-way Xmax in a small sealed enclosure on an amp that is rated at 650w RMS is hitting its mechanical limits.

Here's a video of the song playing. Camera doesn't pick it up all too well, but you can still hear it on the lower note.

Is it just one song you hear the noise on? I had a weird issue in my scion where there was a song that just resonated with the headliner and roof. First time it happened I thought I destroyed my subs.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

15 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

Not true I had a torn spider and only did it at certain frequencies.. and my friend had a loose surround and only did it at certain freq.... and you told him to put his gain somewhere  based on your amp and what 4v and 5v is that is laughable...  .. and the third  video is still wrong for setting gains  it’s explained in the comments and he acknowledged this  after he talked to tony ... 

im not saying turning down his gain won’t solve his problem like you said but you telling him that’s how you set gains without any tools is a load of crap.. he can have the exact same model and where his gain distorts can be different then yours pots can be finicky his input signal can be different 

I told him to put the gain where would be 4v or 5v for his amplifier. I said I was familiar with the xtr line. He is running a xtr 650. I’m running a saz 3500. Different companies. Why would I tell him to set his gains where I set my gains for my amp? That’s retarded. I told him exactly where to set his gain and filters so he would not need tools. I can do it by ear but he can’t so I did it for him and then put videos up to show explanations. The 3rd video shows how to make a distortion detector better than an O scope, which I know because I have both. There’s only a couple ways to find out EXACT frequencies on pass filters and that’s with test tones and a multimeter and the other way is with an o scope. I went to college for electrical systems technology and have been in the bass head game since I was 13. No need to bash back and forth. My bad. So now let’s go from here on a better note. It’s all about bass and love. Bump the hate. And you are right about a loose surround making noise but it would be way worse and a torn spider would be more noticeable than that too. But after watching the video the noise is constant just subtle. Misinformation. But it’s understandable. It sound like a slight air leak from around the rubber trim ring. I’m hot headed and blank out too. So I understand. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived