Second Skin Audio

Please help newbie....I guess lol

I need help with box design or maybe sub setup or maybe both. I have DC XL 15 powered by a Skar RP 2000.1 amp. With my current setup it pops and cracks when certain bass hits. My question is do I need a new box, more power, less power, better amp tuning? 

My current box is:  

Size - 5 cubic ft

Tuned - 32hz

Port Area - 90 inch

Port inlet 5.45x16.5

port length - 35.75

I only have one battery at the moment with 0 gauge wire. 

24 minutes ago, BUCKNAKEDOFFROAD said:

I think I need more subs and a 10K DC amp!

LOL, more subs and more power is always a great answer..... But with only 1 battery, especially if you dont have a high output alternator, you wont get 10K out of that amp, and will likely end up walking once the alternator and battery die on you :D

Popping and cracking can mean a variety of things including damage to the sub, which, if you didnt set the amp gain correctly you could have damaged it. It might also just be bad distortion, also likely caused by the gains not being set correctly and the headunit volume being too high or bass boosts being used, and would likely cause damage if ran at high volumes for any length of time. 

It could also be a result of not having enough power for the amplifier, it takes power to make power. It could also be the box is not tuned correctly. Could be coil rub. Could be a tinsel lead. Could be a lot of things without actually hearing it and checking your setting and your gain and pushing on the sub to see how it feels its hard to be certain. 

First i would invest in either a DD1, o-scope, or multimeter, and watch a few videos on how to set the amp gain correctly with whatever tool you choose to use. Then i would set the gain the right way and see if you still get that sound. Then if so i would pull the sub out the box and check the impedance at the terminals. check tinsel leads and see how the sub feels and sounds as you lightly push on it. 

All that being said.... You drive a toyota, which limits voltage through the PCM. You can look up the Singer voltage boost harness and that will bypass the pcm and give you about .8 volts more even with a stock electrical setup. And if you ever upgrade your electrical system, which you should at 2K rms, it will allow you to get the ful potential from your gear and electrical system. I also suggest doing the big 3 regardless. 

Singer 250amp Alt, Singer PCM bypass harness

Titan8 Lithium Underhood safe BCI PWR-S5

Big 3 W/ dual runs of power/ground. All 1/0awg OFC

SounDigital EVO 5K amp, Two 15" Fi SSD subs

Next Level Fabrication @ 7 cubes net, tuned to 32HZ 

Archived