Second Skin Audio

Help with Sub choice

Tjuggs21

So I've been out of the car audio game for a little while and just recently got back into it. Currently running 2 Skar Vxf 12's in a custom box on a Skar RP 4500.1. While the subs sound good and hit pretty hard. As with every bass head I am looking for something that hits a little deeper and louder. Not too worried about sound quality more worried about SPL. The list below is what I am currently trying to narrow down. Any help or suggestions of subs I might be overlooking are appreciated. 

All 12"

Fi Team V3 

Fi Neo 4.x

Deaf Bonce  3512R

B2 Riot 

Sundown Xv3 or ZV5 possibly

Incriminators Death Penalty 

I would love to get some Pride subs however I can't find any dealers and don't even know the price range of them. 

Any of those options would be killer in a setup. I'm a little jealous! 

I'm sure you're already aware and know what it takes to run crazy subs such as those, but I'd rather say something and not need to, rather than should have said something but didn't. 

Electrical support is number 1. You're not going to gain any numbers, if your electrical can't support the power. Also, a huge piece of the puzzle is airspace. If you don't have the airspace to properly run those subs, you run the risk of being even quieter than you are now. 

How much power are you planning on upgrading to? 

And I looked into it a while back, just for kicks, and there's maybe 2 pride dealers in America. That I could find anyway. And I think the top of the line 15's where something like $1200-$1500 a piece. But from what I've seen, they are worth every penny. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

20 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Any of those options would be killer in a setup. I'm a little jealous! 

I'm sure you're already aware and know what it takes to run crazy subs such as those, but I'd rather say something and not need to, rather than should have said something but didn't. 

Electrical support is number 1. You're not going to gain any numbers, if your electrical can't support the power. Also, a huge piece of the puzzle is airspace. If you don't have the airspace to properly run those subs, you run the risk of being even quieter than you are now. 

How much power are you planning on upgrading to? 

And I looked into it a while back, just for kicks, and there's maybe 2 pride dealers in America. That I could find anyway. And I think the top of the line 15's where something like $1200-$1500 a piece. But from what I've seen, they are worth every penny. 

So I am currently running 2 100AH AGM H9 batteries and I am in the process of ordering a lithium XS (Yinlong) 80AH LTO bank. I also already have multiple runs os 1/0 Sky High OFC already ran.  This is going in a BMW E92 328xi and the only one that said they could possible make me a HO alternator was Singer. With the caveat that I would have dash warning lights on after the install and have to do some slight fab work to get it to work. Max size for the box is 35w/14h/31d which gives me about 7 cubes net. After port and bracing a little over 5.2 cubes. Subs will be facing front with back seats down. Everything is currently sealed off, I removed  all my rear panels and sealed everything from the trunk and reinstalled everything also the box takes up the whole backseat opening.  If you have any suggestions for subs that would be better suited for my space restrictions I am all ears. Like I say the Skar VXF's do a good job and will tickle your throat make your eyes a little blurry and I can do towel tricks all day. I just want a little more oomph. As for the amp it is up in the air as well. I will probably run the Skar RP 4500 @ 0.5 ohms for a little while then maybe a Taramps MD 8K or who knows. Also yes I am aware that the RP is not rated at 0.5ohms, but I am willing to take the responsibility and risk of running it like that with the understanding it is my fault if it lets out the magic smoke. Also open to the idea of running a single 15 or 18 (don't think I have the space for 2) if it would give me better results than two 12's. Thanks for the reply. 

24 minutes ago, Tjuggs21 said:

Oh yeah, sounds pretty good? What amp do you have driving it? What subs did you upgrade from?

I'm running it from 2 Hertz HP3001 - Master / Slave at 2 ohms (1.4).

I upgraded from 2 15's DB Drive WDXG5. Technically I'm downgraded in cone area and spec sheet power handling.

They sound great. I find the response to be better than the DB drive. I'm also tuned a little lower (at 32 - was at 34hz). I know the sub parameters are different but I find this sounds better overall to my ear.

1 hour ago, pnutz37 said:

I'm running it from 2 Hertz HP3001 - Master / Slave at 2 ohms (1.4).

I upgraded from 2 15's DB Drive WDXG5. Technically I'm downgraded in cone area and spec sheet power handling.

They sound great. I find the response to be better than the DB drive. I'm also tuned a little lower (at 32 - was at 34hz). I know the sub parameters are different but I find this sounds better overall to my ear.

Thanks for the Info! I will have to look into the DB XG5 series. I went to their website and I see they offer a 20% military discount. I will admit Fi is at the top of my list though. 

1 hour ago, Tjuggs21 said:

Thanks for the Info! I will have to look into the DB XG5 series. I went to their website and I see they offer a 20% military discount. I will admit Fi is at the top of my list though. 

The db drive subs are good and are actually priced very well IMO. If I had do it over again (for my previous set up), i would have still done the db drives. My car and set up have changed so I decided to go in a different direction subwoofer wise. If you do a search on this forum you'll see my Golf build log and my Yaris build log. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

It's been my experience that high motor force subs (BL^2/RE) tend to do well in low tuned boxes without having a lame narrow response, or having a weird dropoff near tuning. Brute force ftw!

Oh and low resistance windings are great too. 0.5 or 0.3 ohm coils are my go-to if possible.

Might be a lot of disagreement on that one, but meh.

Archived