Sonic Electronix

decided to go sound quality instead of spl and use a skar vd 8 for the bass should i go sealed or ported

It really depends how in depth you want to get in the SQ department. 

A sealed enclosure will have a flatter response than ported and play lower, but with just regular music, a ported box tuned correctly will play just as low. 

People who go full SQ tend to prefer a big driver (18"+) on an infinite baffle, utilizing the natural response curve of the driver. But, infinite baffle drivers are very specific. It's not recommended to use any driver you want. 

If you're not competing, sound quality is very subjective. Really, you have to play with different enclosures to find what's best for you. Most of your SQ is also going to come from your mids and highs as well, so proper installation of those components are going to make our break it in my opinion

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

14 minutes ago, stingray72 said:

I want to take up as little room as possible that's why I was gonna to use the skar vd 8

Well, if space is the deciding factor, then sealed would be the way to go. 

1 hour ago, stingray72 said:

Ill try the skar vd ported 1 cf.  If not I'll do the stereo integrity sql 12 sealed.

I haven't heard an SQL myself, but talking to people who run them, I haven't heard one person have anything bad to say about them

Archived