Anybody Know Much About Ti Graphing Calculators?

I have/had a ti-84 silver eddition, which of course in function is pretty much identical to the ti-83+ etc. Ive become pretty decently familiar with it doing random stuff, like graphing lines of course, multiplying matrices and all that fun stuff. Right now im going into precal/trig as a pretty advanced student, and will likely be going into college for an engineering type field. In the process of moving recently, i am unable to find my ti-84, so I am being forced with getting another. Here is my question, and it would likely need to be answered by someone has used both: Should I just spend the extra money and get the ti-89 or stick with the 84? Really what im needing to know is how different doing things with the ti-89 is from the ti-84. I know a little is different I just don't know how much. If it isn't much different than the 84's etc, I would just go ahead and go with it, cause I never know down the road when I would need it instead of the lower ones anyways, and it isn't a big deal with me to have to switch to the 83 or 84 just to retake the SAT or the such. So has anyone spent enough time with both to know how hard it would be to learn the ti-89?

Thanks for any input any of you might have.

I got a ti 89 and love it. its the third one i have had. definitely get one

images-4.jpgdjscrewbanner5sf.jpgimages.jpg

"IT SOUNDS SLOW MOTION AND STUTTERING"~~~~LOL

2 15" Fi BTLs

7.5 cf box @ 33hz

Sundown SAZ-3500D

Powermaster S3400 & D3100

Iraggi 300a alt

SecondSkin - totally dead

Knu wire

third? lol, why three? I thought I was bad for losing my one calculator in the move... lol So is it much different to use than a 83/84+? I wish I had access to one so I could just spend some time with it, but unfortunately I dont.

I have a TI-83+ Silver Edition, pretty much a TI-84.

I use it for all of my math-related courses here at college, and a few of the people in the classes have the TI-89's. I don't have experience with the 89's, but from being in class with people who have them, I believe there is very little difference. From what I understand, there is more memory and it has a smoother looking keypad layout.

In class, when there are instructions to do something on the calculator, the steps are the same for both calculators. No matter what calculator we are using, we have no compatibility issues. So from that, I would say the function is the same and you wouldn't have to learn much if you upgrade. One thing I think might be a problem, is that some of they keys are in different locations on the 89 than on the 83-84, but when you find them they essentially do the same thing.

Custom 1977 Chevy Nova Show Car:

(1) Kenwood KDC-MP638U Head Unit

(10) Sony 3" in the dash

(2) Rockford Fosgate P3 12" P3D412

(1) Rockford Fosgate P1000.1bd @ 1ohm

(1) Rockford Fosgate PEQ Bass Remote

(1) Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Digital Capacitor RFC1D

All Rockford Fosgate 4AWG Power/Ground wire

Under construction:

(2) Rockford Fosgate P162C 6.0" 2-Way Full-Range Speakers up front

(2) Rockford Fosgate P1694C 6"x9" 4-Way Full-Range Speakers in the back

EVERYTHING hidden to maintain authentic look

Ti-84 is fine upto most lower level college math classes... anything higher and I'd get a 89. I had an 83 and everything upto finite math i could do on it.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

Yea the TI-83/84 would be fine. The TI-89 is better, but alot different, keys are layed out different. One big thing I know of on the 89 is that yo can do a 3-d style graph, if you want. But if you remember how to use the 83/84 go ahead and get the 83/84, because you'd have to relearn keystrokes on the 89. Also, the 83 was fine for my engineering classes this past year.

i mean, they are both 2 great calculators. i have the Ti-84, and im looking at it right as im typing this to you. but my friend/ roommate is a math major, and he has the Ti-89 and man its crazy. it hard to use at first, but then after you get used to it, it is by far the SUPERIOR calculator. not to mention, if you plan on going into the engineering field, you probably will need a Ti-89 for the higher lvl classes anyway. so if you are really interested in saving money, and going into engineering field... do your self a favor, and get the Ti-89... and re-learn how to do everything. its worth it in the end

CURRENTLY UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Team SMD (Street Motivated Devastation)

Chariot.gif

stay with the 84.

I think the 89's interface is too weird. I studying to me a mech Eng, and the most powerful tool to have is MatLab. Calculators are just handy!

australia03junehl4.gif

Previous: 1988 Nissan Patrol

Rockford T800.4

Rockford T1 15 (sealed)

Rockford 6.5 Components

Current: 1997 Jeep Wrangler

Build goals...

1x RF P300.2

4x Hertz HCX165's

Built Completes :)

Alpine 9886 Headunit

RF P300.2

RF P500-1bd

2x RF P2-D2 8" Subs, 1.3 cubes @39.5Hz

4x Hertz HCX130's

Current comment...

Satisfied for the moment, focusing on performance upgrades

stay with the 84.

I think the 89's interface is too weird. I studying to me a mech Eng, and the most powerful tool to have is MatLab. Calculators are just handy!

once you figure out how to use a ti-89 its the nicest calculator you'll ever use. i love mine and it helps to get the A's on tests :D. Plus it can do just about anything

1994 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel Regular Cab

hmm.... some contrary views... lol. So As a genneral summery, seems like most of you are saying that if I don't mind re-learning some of the keys etc... go with the 89. Im thinking thats what Im going to do... Besides the fact I love the thought of more powerfull electronics... :) Thanks all for the help