NASA Selects Term-LAB to Measure Shuttle Launch

NASA has recently selected Term-LAB to measure the Sound Pressure Level generated by the Space Shuttle during liftoff. According to NASA engineers, acoustical measurements during liftoff have not been attempted for more than a decade. And, even then, reliable measurements were difficult if not impossible to achieve due to the extreme nature of the SPL being produced. After researching the available test equipment on the market, Term-LAB was selected for this very demanding application.

NASA plans to use the measurements recorded by Term-LAB to identify specific frequencies that could be causing damage to the pad during launches. The need for logged data required some significant additions and enhancements to the Term-LAB software. Wayne Harris, president of WHE Inc., worked closely with NASA engineers to develop these changes.

The first measurements were taken during the launch of Discovery on May 31, 2008. The sensor was attached to a high-speed camera mount located 1300 feet from the launch pad. The Term-LAB system was switched to “NASA Mode” and the data logger began logging measurements to the computer’s hard drive several minutes prior to liftoff.

The logged data was then reviewed by NASA and WHE Inc. Based on this data, the shuttle established a peak “dB Drag” SPL of 147.7 dB at 20 Hz. While a score like this won’t set any dB Drag Racing World Records, it is very impressive when you consider that the measurement was taken from 1300 feet away and that the frequency where the maximum SPL occurred was 20 Hz.

http://www.termpro.com/hnews/newsdetail.asp?ID=69

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

it was 160db before from the same distance, using a BK meter, last I heard

dont know if it was 1300ft on the dot, but it was 160db on the previous mic

147db @20hz would be pretty funny to get a taste of

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

My memory is about as long as my D@#$, But wasn't there a post about some meter that used the metal box as the mic because the metal was sensitive to pressure diffs. And you had to put a dmm on the metal box? I thought in the thread the rep said that is what nasa used because it had a huge upper limit and was super sensitive.

Edited by alvitae