Second Skin Audio

What Fastener To Use Besides Wood Screws To Hold Some 18"s In Place?

TO make a long story short, My first setup used screws, and they back out of my 3/4MDF. I can get 2-3 "re-tights" out of them, then the hole gets striped. On my second attemps, I decided to walk down my favorite isle in Home Depot, and found these ( http://www.wsusol.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=965 ) I tapped these in on the inside of the box, then used 1/4" 1-1/4 long all thread bolts, and the damn speaker was FINALLY secured in, and STRONG TOO!, I decided yesterday to go and check to see if the bolts loosened up, and only 2 got slightly loose, and got my screw driver, and proceeded to tighten them up, the first one got nice and tight, the second one is now just spining. The teeth on the one T-Nut is no just spining on the inside, so now there is no more way for it to "GRAB" when I tighten the bolt (you know what I mean) out of 8 bolts, 7 are very tight, WILL THIS BE AN ISSUE???

I guess what im asking is this: Does anyone know of a more secure way of holding a speaker down, so I'll never have to go thru this shit again. It isn't easy taking out a 16.04CuFT box with 2 18" BL's in it. This sucker is heavy. Im open for suggestions, and hopefully Home Depot has what ever you recommend. Thanks guys.....

Edited by newls1

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

that fucker must be slumpin if ur shakein screws out of the box i never had that problem befor, but maby u could put locktite on the threads so they prolly will never come out but u still want it to be able to take out when workin on subs or so

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

I would stay away from the T-nuts they sell in home depot and lowes. I've used them before on a set of 12's and had the threads strip out of both the T-nuts and the bolts (both bought from home depot)

The trick is to find a bolt specialty shop in your town to get them from. Here we have Ace bolt and screw, that's where I go to get my T-nuts and bolts. They are MUCH better made, and a fraction of the cost. I got about 50 of each for under 10 bucks. At home depot to get enough for two subs you spend about $15 for crap.

T-nuts are great, you just gotta get the good ones. Another trick is if you don't set the nuts into the baffle before hand with the bolts, take a C clamp and set the T-nuts with that. When you just use the screw to tighten it in you take the chance of not having it suck up into the baffle tight enough and over time it can let slack in the bolt for it to come loose.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

1/4-20" 2" bolts and t-nuts

there are a bunch of styles of t-nuts, some are cheap, some are pretty damn good, way to keep them in place is to epoxy them in place, and wax the bolt, or use vaseline- an old boss taught me that trick, and they will never ever strip once dried

another thing I found out about wood screws striping like that is to much flex on the baffle where the sub is mounted to

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.