Sundown Audio

08zx400.1 Only Power On When Turn Up Volume?

Lucas702

So my buddy called me over to look at this brand new 08zx400.1 he installed because it will only turn on when he turns the volume on his deck up about 1/3 of the way. If he turns it above that, the amp will take about 5 seconds then it will click on. Once it is on, if you turn it below that volume, after about 5-10 sec it shuts back off. I checked all the connections on the back of the deck, and the battery and ground and everything looks fine. I checked the gain, x-over, and bass boost, all are fine. I checked the hi and low pass switch, and its set on low. When I switch it between the power on modes, "Audio" will give it power (only when above 1/3), and the other 2 do not give the amp power. Any suggestions? New remote wire?

Sure the remote wire isn't connected to a speaker lead?

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

'Audio' means 'turn the amp on when the inputs see audio'

'DC' means 'turn the amp on when the inputs see DC offset' which some OEM decks use, I think it's +6v?

'+12v' means turn on when there's 12v at the remote on terminal

When you have it on 'audio' it's expecting to see speaker level outputs from an OEM deck which is why it keeps turning off... even a decent pre-out headunit is nothing compared to speaker level signal, although I'm struggling to envision how you connected it up...

EDIT: Pretty sure the manual would have told you most of this... usually the first place I go when an amp isn't behaving.

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Well I thought it would be something like that.

I didn't put it in, someone else did. I pulled the deck out (Sony) and saw he had the remote wire hooked up to some blue wire, I didn't have the schematics, and hooked it up to the remote wire and bada bing bada boom it worked perfectly fine. Thanks for the help peeps

I pulled the deck out (Sony) and saw he had the remote wire hooked up to some blue wire, I didn't have the schematics, and hooked it up to the remote wire and bada bing bada boom it worked perfectly fine. Thanks for the help peeps

hmm weird. usally the solid blue wire from the headunit is the remote wire, then blue with white strip is power antenna, if it was hooked to that wire, the amp would only come on when the headunit was in tuner (am/fm) mode.

Aftermarket headunits all follow the same color codes for the wiring harness, weather it be sony, alpine, panasonic, eclipse, pioneer, jensen, dual, boss, yadda yadda yadda.

glad you got it figured out tho and its working :)

Edited by audiofanaticz

Well I had another sony a while before I put in my Alpine, and I was using the remote wire which on both decks is blue with a white stripe on it. I still cant figure out which one it is because I don't have manuals in front of me or anything but once ill do ill let ya know what it was.

hmm weird. usally the solid blue wire from the headunit is the remote wire, then blue with white strip is power antenna, if it was hooked to that wire, the amp would only come on when the headunit was in tuner (am/fm) mode.

Aftermarket headunits all follow the same color codes for the wiring harness, weather it be sony, alpine, panasonic, eclipse, pioneer, jensen, dual, boss, yadda yadda yadda.

glad you got it figured out tho and its working :)

the remote wire for the sony deck in my mom's truck is blue with a white stripe.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo