Cycling Deep Cycle Batteries

From what I understand about deep cycle batteries, they are meant to be "cycled"... you drain them down then charge them back to full. Thats suppose to be the norm for a deep cycle. So what happens to the life of the battery if you never completely drain it down? If you only drain it down a little then charge to full etc. I think its called short cycling or something.

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

Man, no replies??

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Currently Rebuilding....

I do box designs.

although they do have the capability of being drain i don't drain mine low whatsoever ..... i don't even care to take the chance. they suppose to be able to be drained multiple times. how many times i do not know but i love a fully charged battery.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

i don't have an answer for you, but

i run wet cell deep cycle batts in my boat and they get regularly disscharged

the most i ever get out of them is 2 years

i run the same in my jeep cherokee with very seldom disscharged

and get atleast 5 years

i only used agm batts in my boat once they died in the first year

they were optima and got replaced with wet cells again

i don't know if it was a fluke or if agm don't deep cycle like wet cells

all that said i want to know too

because i am thinking powermaster for my explorer

2000 explorer xlt

cda-9887 with imprint ktx-100 + ipod120

mechman rhino 250 alt with xs-power d3400 + d3100

id oems -

Dayton RS52AN-8 2" Dome Midrange

hat L1 PRO -

1 x fi Q15 d2 non-bp with 3.8 cuft net 60 sq inch L-port tuned to 28 hz - sub up , port back

2 x sax 100.4d -

2 x saz1500d -

second skin damplifier 80 ft

and a btl soon

That's a very good question. Maybe one of the battery guru's will jump into this thread and shed some light onto the subject. I would also like to know the answer to this one.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

My understanding is that it is good to periodically give deep cycle batteries a reasonable discharge/recharge although not to the point of complete discharge.

Helps to mix up the reagents inside or something.

Although I too would be interested to hear the gurus take on it :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Okay, where are the battery gurus???

Currently Rebuilding....

I do box designs.

Depth of discharge directly effects lead/acid battery life - deep cycle or not.

So called "Deep Cycle" batteries will tolerate deeper discharge than cranking batteries, but no battery manufacturer recomends cycling them below 50% of capacity.

Running any lead/acid battery completely flat is not a good idea. It will not help the battery in any way, and does not "recondition" them - unless you count a speedy return to the recycler as "reconditioning".

Try to keep the cycling above the 50% discharge level, and you will get more service from your deep cycle batteries.

Most of the solar or wind power people have a good grasp of battery life vs discharge depth, and many of them size a battery bank for 25% discharge under normal use - and they start firing up a generator if they get close to 40% discharged. Have a look at some of the home power type websites for deep cycle battery info. They are usually very willing to share with you.

'Link

(None of the above applies to sealed NiCd batteries. It is indeed important to run NiCads flat every cycle to prolong the service life)

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Deep cycle batteries actually get better when they are cycled, i remember looking at a graph of the batteries reserve capacity increasing over the number of cycles to a certain number of cycles. You have to realize, discharging the battery 100% according to most manufactures specs is when the batteries voltage reaches 10.5 volts, after that it can be fully charged (when the battery no longer takes a load from a charger ). If you really want to get picky, from my experience, discharging the batteries 100% (at 10.5v) with a transistor load at around 20amps , then charging them back up at around 10 amps, the RC time will increase in the batteries. I have had a lot of experience with deep cycles, I built a solar boat with a team a few years back and part of my job was to cycle and graph the discharge rate and RC of 9 deep cycles. We had a meter that would measure the capacitance of the batteries as well and they all increased their number of mhos over time. However cycling the battery will shorten its life because it can only go through so many cycles before it starts to decrease its rated RC and CA

just my .02

Too Much Stuff to list .