Sundown Audio

Tips, Tricks, Whatever To Get To A 148.2 **update**

But covering the box with duck tape??? really? What is that suppose to do?

MDF (if that's what your box is made out of...i think it is) is very porous. might not be so much a concern since there's not tons and tons of power in the box, but the duct tape would help seal it up. most people put it around the edge of the subs

but I guarantee it won't hurt your numbers heh.

hmmm...i've heard that it can help in some cases, and can hurt in some cases.

Not the results I was hoping for...

maybe not the highest...but once you get it to that point again you know what will help now :) and if you add those up, you'll get that 148.2. 148.5 to be exact

Gary where did you do the 147.7 at? Also where did you do the 147.4 at? The difference in location could be the deciding factor in your change in score. Elevation, humidity, and even temperature could have effected the score enough to have it drop a few tenths.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

w3rd nightshade

exactly what i was going to say.... not only that... unless u are 100% postive ur batts are fully charged each burp that will change #'s also, since its more depleted... do ur test while charging batts between...

and do them as fast as possible so temp/humidity/whatever factors arent part of the change in #'s

deadnin has always helped any install ive done... never seen it detriment unless it was a large vehicle that had many panels flexing (yukon xl)

not sure if it was asked but has someone sat on the trunk while burping?

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Nope, only factory deadening. half the people I talked to says deadening helps the other half says no help. I would hate to be a the second group...

I seen dampning kill numbers, I have seen dampning help, it all trial and error.

I think Rusty from DC found that adding a body kit to Anna's rex hurt them, and they had to work hard to get it back.

seeing how the box is fairly simple in design, I would start there, add resin 45's to some of your corners see if you get a gain or not, then maybe resin the whole inside of the box ro see if that speeds up your airspeed, technically it should, as smoother surface plain should allow more airspeed as it has less resistance.

if you do any of this please post up results, I would be cuirous to know about the resin'd up 45s and the rest of the box being resin'd up and smoothed out.

Well, the good news is you can get some of the off brands pretty cheap. And the worst that could happen is that it doesn't help, but I guarantee it won't hurt your numbers heh.

I consider it mandatory with my installs. But that's just my opinion. :D

Depends on the car! In my öld mazda i lost â full db i had 4 test boxes all lost a full db spent a day ripping of the roof and all 4 test boxes gained a db

Now my boys truck all it did was raise the res. Freq. And gained â tenth of a db

The mic might not like sound deading in some çars but it does all make them sound better even if you lose db's

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Gary where did you do the 147.7 at? Also where did you do the 147.4 at? The difference in location could be the deciding factor in your change in score. Elevation, humidity, and even temperature could have effected the score enough to have it drop a few tenths.

Set the 147.7 about two mile from my home. Temp might have been a little higher when I was doing some testing.

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

if you do any of this please post up results, I would be cuirous to know about the resin'd up 45s and the rest of the box being resin'd up and smoothed out.

I'll be sure to give an updated when I do the 45's

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

gary have you tried fiberglass resin in and out of the box i have had good luck with that also with no corners in the box and when you round them fill the area behind the curve with hard stuff (like concrete) all that is good for gains i have never had any of that or even heard of any of that hurting #s

also if there is a way you can smooth your allthread out that helps pain in the butt it works though

all it comes down to is that the smoother the box the louder less restriction the better as you know

have you tried the "DB in a can" yet follow the rules but take different cans and place them in the car places it can be good for a tenth or so usually (ask sean DBmonkey) about it

VEHICLE:1993 Ford F-150

ELECTRICAL:1-350Amp 1-200Amp Idle Excessive Amperage Alts.

BATT'S:13 Stinger SPV70's

HEAD UNIT:Pioneer N1

MIDBASS:2 10" 2 8" Sundown prosound protos

SUBS:3 NSv.2 18s in a series tuned 6th order

SUB AMPS:3 Sundown SAZ-4500D

MIDBASS/TWEETER AMP:Sundown SAX-200.4 Simon Eichenberger is the King