Second Skin Audio

Someone Talk To Me On "clamshells"

so how does the box in the caddy work exactly isnt there pressure between the woofers? and wouldnt the pressure push into the port? granted it moves to the path of least resistance, or does it simply not work like this?

oh and anyone in the bay area/norcal check this thread out please:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=35582

its a liil get together in fremont

Edited by mr.p

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

look into chargers build with 6 15s

chargers build log

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

I always think of clamshells as how my old boss explained how horns and transmission line works.

in his words the best I can remember,

" Imagine creating a tube with your hands in front of your mouth, now make a low frequency sound firing in to the tube, its quite different than just making the same sound with no tube, impressive, but now make the same sound start with your hands formed in to a tube again, but now this time, slowly open your hands until you find the loudest you can get with out changing the sound pressure coming from your mouth, you will notice at about 45- 90 degrees opened up, you will get loudest, most efficiently"- This you may have to experiment with a second person in front of you, so they can confirm, same way my boss did it to me.

This is the same concept bull horns work to talk to audiences, etc etc. Its about sound dispersion- This is not to be confused with horns, or 1/4 waves, its more based on sound coming from one point, and opening out to a larger mouth to direct sound in a proper manner

Thats my take on clamshells vs flat wall vs wall of subs facing another wall of subs

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

hhahah wow i actually did that^

yea chargers clamshell is sick! i would love to do something like that...maybe after i pay my explorer off, i just realized that a wall or clamshell would be a seriously permanent install :\ the wall idea i had was just a slidein box witha trim panel for the face, it woudl be fairly easily removeable.....ill figure this out :)

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

Thanks. :)

Take a look at Frankie Rio's old clamshell, too.

Picture126.jpg

LOUUUD CAR :D

36CFDEF1-F93D-4FA3-9934-64EE2EC94080-2856-0000071FCFA47672.png.ebe82e417eabc5f239a4adf293b099f9.png

Previous 150+ daily rides:

Volvo 240 wagon 2 x DD Audio 9915s walled, Isuzu Trooper 6 x DD Audio 3515s walled clamshell, Lexus LX470  2 x Kicked Solo X 18s, Lexus LS400 4  x American Bass HD18 walled

SMD - System of The Month August 2008

My Youtube Videos