Chevy 5.3 Engine Knock

mine does it every single day (on first, cold start). After a few minutes it stops. Dont worry about it....if it does it 10 miles down the road, then start worrying about it...

Thats good to know Im not the only 1 around here it doesnt really bother me but it is kind of annoying Ya since you are in a warmer climate im guessing it doesnt do it later in the day after you get off work or drive later in the day weird shit happens today we get alot of snow and it doesnt knock out all lol

• 4 weeks later...

yep thats deff a vortec know my race car motor even does because of the vortec head idk but sounds nasty runs perfect though :good:

2000 White Dodge Durango 5.9L

Flowmaster 40 Series through 2 1/2" with and open cat.

1 Dc lvl5 18

4 6.5 seleniums and 2 D200 Selenium Horns on Rockford 500.2

Big three upgrade and a kinetik HC1800 in the back with all 1/0g knu wire

shootin for 145+ :)

mybanner49a35dfb6b392.jpg 732593158.png

• 3 months later...

it is the design of the 3rd gen ls1 based engine..as previously said it is piston to cylinder wall slap

07 mote carlo..

deh-p800prs hu-cdt gold 6.5's-cdt 6x9 2 ways-mcintosh mc431m(mids/highs)

bxi2608,2 10w7's in 4rth order(designed by pete k)ported into cabin via armrest cutout

dc power 260 amp alt-missing link module (15.4v)kicker 1/0 kit deka intimidator under hood

metered 141.0 @ 32hz windows down @ kick,termlab

it is the design of the 3rd gen ls1 based engine..as previously said it is piston to cylinder wall slap

Correct 100%. Phenolic pistons need to expand into the cylinder sleeve (These GENIII LS based motors use sleeves) until they warm up (expand) you will have this "knock sound" completely normal. However my tahoe makes a LOUD "CLACK" all the time, and that bothers me. I can only imagine who ever owned it before me, didnt take care of oil changes to much, however the cyclinder heads are clean as a whistle inside.

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Thanks for the input guys It still runs just fine it actually runs great. We had a few days where it was extremely cold like -20 or something like that and it started right up with no problems only knocked for about 15 seconds that was a few months back of course and since it has heated up it hasnt been knocking for maybe more than 10 seconds at most.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys It still runs just fine it actually runs great. We had a few days where it was extremely cold like -20 or something like that and it started right up with no problems only knocked for about 15 seconds that was a few months back of course and since it has heated up it hasnt been knocking for maybe more than 10 seconds at most.

Try running 91 octane. If that doesn't work and it really really bothers you take it to a tuner and have him retard your timing. I am not buying the piston slap theory its not a forged piston nor a floating piston.

PS for the guy trying to do the 6.0 swap this engine knocks at start up to.

mine does it every single day (on first, cold start). After a few minutes it stops. Dont worry about it....if it does it 10 miles down the road, then start worrying about it...

x2

i have a 97 and it does the same thing on start up. goes away in 30 seconds or less. ive had a 98 before did the same thing. all tahoe owners should know this. anyways someone once told me that it takes a little bit for the engine to pump oil through it. thought thats what it was didnt really trip, now i know what it really is. thanks badasschevy for clearing that up for everyone.

edit: i always run 91 octane

I Rock 4 Doors 4 More Whores!

SMD SUPER SELLER

my seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-mama-feedback/

more seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-slaps-yo-mama/

Try running 91 octane. If that doesn't work and it really really bothers you take it to a tuner and have him retard your timing. I am not buying the piston slap theory its not a forged piston nor a floating piston.

PS for the guy trying to do the 6.0 swap this engine knocks at start up to.

If it was doing it all the time like my dad's 6.0 does, then I would agree with you. But he says its only at startup which means its probably CSK.

Either way, the computer for the 5.3 will retard timing on its own. That's why you may see a slight (i.e. negligible) improvement in performance.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Archived