Second Skin Audio

Newest 18" Re Xxx Woofer

I worked with a 12" XXX subwoofer this summer and was really impressed with it (drooled over the excursion). The 12" sounded really good but I have been considering getting an 18" (for now) and plan on puttin up to four in my yukon (when I get it). Who has worked directly with this woofer? I have heard they sound terrible, but one persons opinion can spread like wildfire and that twelve sounded beautiful. So, I want to know how well the sub performs. I DON'T want a FI BTL. I don't care how cheap or loud or great sounding they are. They are EVERYWHERE now(probably for good reason) but I like to be unique somewhat in my systems. And XXXs aren't too often seen. I only run groundpunder setups with no intention of competing so don't worry about peak SPL. I am also not a Sound Quality guy either, not looking for a FI Q or anything like it. How good do they sound? I want some good opinions. Or possible options for different woofers. I love high excursion woofers. No sight better than a wrinkled surround. I have been trying to track down some LMS 5400s or Ultras but I don't ever see them fitting my budget. I have a 12" now but have worked with several 18" lately and I can't believe I haven't had one to begin with. Help me out.

Remember...New 18" RE XXX Opinions and options... GO!

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

DC audio lvl 4 XL or lvl 5 would probably be tons louder then the XXX...

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

Probably? sorry but unless you have used both woofers I dont think you should chime in. My 2 cents.... with that said the XXX is a great woofer and since you dont care about cost that makes it even better. Do it right and you will be loud. Plenty of amp, plenty of electrical.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

no intention of competing so don't worry about peak SPL

Reading is fundamental.....there are few woofers I would like to have more than an XXX.....they are just downright secksi.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

i actually do have experience with the XLs and my car gets really loud with 2 15s, and i have heard the XXXs and they just didnt impress me, since they are geared towards SQ anyways.

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

those XXX 18s are about 1800 each you stated the LMS were out your budget so the XXX may be the samke issue.

not alot od subs out there withthe low end of a XXX or the LMS, especially cheaper.

The Fi Q is pretty decently loud for the money and sound good. another grewat sub is the critical mass ul series only you cant get 18s of them.

i actually do have experience with the XLs and my car gets really loud with 2 15s, and i have heard the XXXs and they just didnt impress me, since they are geared towards SQ anyways.

i can pretty much guarantee you didnt hear a new XXX 18"

ive got 6 XXX atm 4 12s and 2 15s no 18s because im a broke mofo. but they are all impressive subs in the right environment

If the XXX didnt Impress you its either because it was not installed correctly (wrong enclosure, insufficient power or like james said it was the older model. I did alot of testing (and destroying) the new XXX I went thru 7 IIRC when they were first released. When you get these subs done up proper, they sing!

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

those XXX 18s are about 1800 each you stated the LMS were out your budget so the XXX may be the samke issue.

not alot od subs out there withthe low end of a XXX or the LMS, especially cheaper.

The Fi Q is pretty decently loud for the money and sound good. another grewat sub is the critical mass ul series only you cant get 18s of them.

I agree, the Q is a AMAZING sounding sub and take a dcecent amount more power than its rated at.

Ive heard the AA Havocs aswell, 2 15's on 2500rms @ 2ohm and they were just nasty! they sounded so much louder but still as clean if not cleaner than the Q. Oldsboomer on here just swapped his single 15" Q for 2 15" havocs and i will get a demo of that on friday afternoon. he says "its sooooo deep sounding" i take it he likes them.

In my oppinion if you want a low budget loud but SQ woofer go with the havoc but the Q is almost as good.

my 2 cents :)

Untitled-2.jpg

My Videos

AQ + AA/Fi FTMFW!!!!!