Second Skin Audio

Torres' Box Tuning Calculator - Updated 8/18

Torres

i think you're way over thinking it lol. instead of trying to answer each point in your post, i think it'll be easier for me to explain how it's calculated instead.

port length DOES use the baffle as part of the port length. so if you have a single baffle and a 10" port length, notice that the physical port length will read 9.25". that is because the .75" of the baffle makes up for the rest of it. now add in multiple baffles and you'll notice the physical port length shrinks. this also does the same thing for thicker walls of the box as well. i like to build my boxes with the port inside, then router them out with a flush bit so it gives you a nice even opening....so i designed the calculator to do the calculations as such.

now external port length works like this: if you have a 10" port, and put in 5" of the port in the external port box, your port is NOT 15". it is still a 10" port, but with 5" of it externally. keep in mind this will slightly alter net volume and tuning. now to make it work properly...in the example above you'd just need 5" of port on the outside of the box and 4.25" on the inside of the box. the baffle will make up for the other .75" to make your port 10"

in your example, you said you want to add another baffle to flush the speakers. so with this you'll just need to put a 1 in the '# of extra baffles' box and this will use 1.5" for part of the port length instead of .75". just make sure your overall box dimensions are adjusted accordingly since extra baffles are worked within the dimensions entered, meaning any extra baffles will go 'inside' the box as far as calculations go

i hope that didn't turn into ramble :P

I like how you explained how the calc figures it out, I got it now :D thanks Torres !

I made this image for a box I designed, still tinkering, but it makes sense after I visualized it too :P

subs4.png

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a strange bug. Sometimes port aera/per ft wigs out and gets a bad value in it. In the next two screenshots you will see two identical boxes with different values in the port area/ft box.

All i had to do to make it change was a value in some other field and then change it back.

It only seems to get this error when adjusting port width. I don't think it matters how many common walls but i see it more often with 1 common wall designs.

bug1.jpg?t=1352734548

bug2.jpg?t=1352734549

edit

added a few extra letter "s".

fail keyboard is fail

edit: Does it with other common wall settings too. It seems like it pics a random number to put in that field. I was using a 3 common wall with a port height of 16.5 and kept changing the width of the port like 1 ,2,3 ,4 and the values i get are 0.00, 0.00, 7.88, 12.4, If you just replace the width with the same width it gives different numbers also.

for instance, width at 4 i get 12.44, if i replace 4 with 4 again i get 16.58.

People should probably take note of this. Can someone else try this and see if they get the same results. I am using the most current version, i even downloaded again after i had this happen to make sure. I think if you enter the same port width twice it gives the right number.

is the newer version of the calculator more accurate? i get two completely different measure using the same dimensions between the two versions.

old

UPFIRE.png

new

upfire2.png

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

i downloaded the toress calculator but it says i need framework v4.0.30319 to run it or something. i need some help. i do not know how to use computers

bam

]http://www.microsoft.com/net

ok so im sure this has already been answered but i dont want to search through 24 pages to find it. If my sub is firing upward but i dont have a baffle, do i need to just add .75 to the height?

Kenwood Excelon x396AQ2200Fi Q 12XS D3400

XS XP30001/0 RADAFLEXStinger volt meter

Mechman 240a alt

you cant.

mac ftw lol

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived