Second Skin Audio

Torres' Box Tuning Calculator - Updated 8/18

Torres

If this was answered already, I apologize. I didn't read through all 27 pages

I noticed a discrepancy between the newest release and the older non-install program. It seems like the newer version shows a larger net volume with lower tuning despite all the input fields being the same.

So which one is right?

I noticed a discrepancy between the newest release and the older non-install program. It seems like the newer version shows a larger net volume with lower tuning despite all the input fields being the same.

So which one is right?

i wanna know this answer too

Have you ever thought of a android version of this program?

Don't forget apple haha. That would be amazing though

i was told you have to have a mac in order to make an app for apple. so that would 99% likely never happen lol. not unless one appeared magically on my doorstep

So which one is right?

it's been a while since i've compared them. and even sometimes then i can't recreate the errors which throws me off even more. but when i get my new PC finished (just waiting to buy my OS now) then i'm going to get a new version of visual basic since mine is expired now and hopefully iron out any wrinkles

Here's just a quick sample box. It seems that the discrepancy is the port volume.

For my plans: the same box using the older and newer programs has a ~1.5cuft difference, which is more than I feel comfortable ignoring

Screen shot of the newest

Torres_New_zps14d27beb.png

And of the oldest

Torres_Old_zpsb51188fe.png

Joe also answered this question on the previous page.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/38791-torres-box-tuning-calculator-updated-818/?p=2281451

Sketchup airspace calculation is the only method to bypass the port displacement error when using Torres calc, Strangeduck shows how do this in this thread for his wall project:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164843-before-i-build-can-you-guys-check-this-wall-experience-helpful/

I was going to ask if someone had instructions to calculate port area in sketchup. This is perfect. Thanks, Joe!

Really wish there was a Mac port of this. But I still use it on a VMWare virtual machine.

Thanks for an awesome calculator though, I wouldn't know where to start without this thing.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

Download link? One in original post won't work.

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Torres, i think your calculator is an awesome tool! so keep that in mind when you read this next part.

To those with questions about port displacement, port volume, port length, and so on.

Torres calculator is very accurate in most cases, but it cannot always tell for sure what you want to do exactly. The most common problem i see is any time someone has a port that has a bend in it.

Two things occur that confuse people.

1. Too complex

2. port displacement gets weird

the first one is simple, the calculator doesnt know how you ant you port bends to work, you could be doing a simple "L" port, or you could even run a port wall straight back, the go over the port width and bring the other port wall straight off the back of the box (you see this in "T" lines sometimes") or you could do 45's or kerfs or any number of things.

the second issue is due to the first issue, since torres can't read minds, it can't always gurantee a perfect port calculation.

In order to allow the kind of precision you guys need, the program would be far too complex to use for most beginners. This calulator was meant to be a simple accurate tool to design a ported enclosure and it does it remarkably well 99% of the time.

Now, I always check my work with sketchup, like in the thread joe linked. But if you dont know how to use sketchup a calculator and some paper will do the same thing. Just remember when you figure your port displacement to include the port walls. and when figuring port area only use the internal dimensions of the port (X * Y). and for port length you just draw out your port on some grid paper,(top down view) break it down into rectangles or squares(or trangles), then add the area of all those and divide them by the width of the port.

But i would suggest learning the basics of sketchup because all that stuff can be done in a few mouse clicks.

^^ i couldn't have said it better myself. seems as if a lot of people don't understand that, and just want it to work lol. so i try my best to make it work and then put certain disclaimers that a certain part will only work one way. then they still don't see that part lol. i never expected it to get as many downloads as it has. it has in turn, turned into a lot of work/upkeep. i enjoy it, but it is certainly taking its toll. i would love for it to get to a 'finished' point one day

Archived