How To Build A Pure Spl Box

SPLGEO

Tools you need:

-SPL meter (term lab)

-Load of building supplys( wood, screws, glue...)

- note pad a few of them

finding the frequency of the vehical( this will change depending upon the size and orenation of the box). To to this build a sealed box( aprox the size of the box you belive you will end up useing for the sub/s you will be using. Place in vechical and and a low volume, bass boost off sweep or if you have the time one hz by one hz. this will yeild the aprox, frequency. The frequency will vary with tempature.

Next use a a program( free of internet{winisd} or i use bass box 6 pro) to calculate the size of teh box and the port for the box. Keep in mind that some programs do not subtract port displacment, so you will have to do this manualy (LxWxD-baffle board). Most boxes will peak 5-10hz above what you tune it too, so amp the tuning alittle lower. As far as port area big is mostly better in this case. Also keep in mine that you do not want a port with alot of bends to it (smaller area less depth).

The way I have heard and will be useing this techneque from now on for my own personal boxes ios this...... make a reovable port, and a movable rear baffle board.

1. test at full volume the box with maxium port, max box size

2. move rear wall in 1/2" and re test

3. repet step 2. until rear wall cannot be move fuhter

4. keep track of teh frequency and the DB you hit

5. after the rear walll is move foward all of teh way remove port and trim 1/2" off teh port place back in.

6. repet steps 2-5 until you have found the max DB.

thsi process is mainly used for strong SPL subs( the RE MT, or FI BTL)

Notes.....

1. Baffles need to be thick, they are the weak point on a box

2. no internal bracing( causes to much internal turbulance)

3. if you are using Areo port make the external

4. Resin is your friend, and yes 45 degress do add some Dbs

5. the higher the frequency the better if an suz peakes at 34 hz it will aslo peak at 68 hz... 68hz will more then likey be louder

happy DB'n

SMDsigbannr4.jpg1995 Geo Prism . FI BTL 12 P chamfer, 3rdmagnet HIXMAX COIL 1/0 big 3 HIFONICS COLOSSUS 1.7 cubs tuned to 60hz in the works 2xTruck battery 1125 cca.

• 2 months later...

Tools you need:

-SPL meter (term lab)

-Load of building supplys( wood, screws, glue...)

- note pad a few of them

finding the frequency of the vehical( this will change depending upon the size and orenation of the box). To to this build a sealed box( aprox the size of the box you belive you will end up useing for the sub/s you will be using. Place in vechical and and a low volume, bass boost off sweep or if you have the time one hz by one hz. this will yeild the aprox, frequency. The frequency will vary with tempature.

Next use a a program( free of internet{winisd} or i use bass box 6 pro) to calculate the size of teh box and the port for the box. Keep in mind that some programs do not subtract port displacment, so you will have to do this manualy (LxWxD-baffle board). Most boxes will peak 5-10hz above what you tune it too, so amp the tuning alittle lower. As far as port area big is mostly better in this case. Also keep in mine that you do not want a port with alot of bends to it (smaller area less depth).

The way I have heard and will be useing this techneque from now on for my own personal boxes ios this...... make a reovable port, and a movable rear baffle board.

1. test at full volume the box with maxium port, max box size

2. move rear wall in 1/2" and re test

3. repet step 2. until rear wall cannot be move fuhter

4. keep track of teh frequency and the DB you hit

5. after the rear walll is move foward all of teh way remove port and trim 1/2" off teh port place back in.

6. repet steps 2-5 until you have found the max DB.

thsi process is mainly used for strong SPL subs( the RE MT, or FI BTL)

Notes.....

1. Baffles need to be thick, they are the weak point on a box

2. no internal bracing( causes to much internal turbulance)

3. if you are using Areo port make the external

4. Resin is your friend, and yes 45 degress do add some Dbs

5. the higher the frequency the better if an suz peakes at 34 hz it will aslo peak at 68 hz... 68hz will more then likey be louder

happy DB'n

Hey GEO, what's new? dude, you said something that I don't think is right.

test at full volume the box with maxium port, max box size :blink:<_<

full volume??? isn't that dangerious for the subs. Somebody who has never been down this road can loose a sub/subs very quickly! not knowing what the box is tuned at. trust me on that one.. I DID IT!! smoked 2 apx's in a new box, not knowing anything and start testing at 40Hz or was it 20Hz. hmmm, don't remember which one it was but I do remember the foul odor comming from my car! oh, and the white smoke. Speaking from experence, NEVER TEST AT FULL VOLUME AT FIRST!! start of low and work your way up. AND TAKE NOTES AS YOU GO!! as you go up in volume, you will notice that your peaks will change. (hence, the note taking!) also, give your subs time to cool down and your batteries a chance to recharge!.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. :blush:

48956a0.jpgwww.competitionsoundz.comTeam R&RTeam MaxxsonicsTeam DC AudioTeam PowermasterTeam KinetikHooker car audio

Hey you forgot the most important thing you need..... TIME

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I would also recommend a 2 clamp meters and a couple multimeters. You need to calculate your reactive load and the power from your amps for all aplications. Some deisngs might be louder and use more power. Others might be .1 off but use 500 less watts to achieve that score.

There are many diffrent ways to go about it but do not expect to accomplish all of this in a day or even a couple of days. Be prepared to spend many hours calculating, building and testing.

DCSOUNDsig.jpg

2006 SPLMAX Bass Race Competitor of the Year

2006 Bass Race 156 points

Team DC Sounds

Team Maxxsonics

Team HR

Team Second Skin

Team Hooker Audio

http://dcsoundlab.com/

2006 Bass Race 156 points

2008 Starting from scratch

• 8 months later...

happy DB'n

can you explain this a little more, the part about peaking at 34 and 68?

Later

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

what I used to do when I worked at the speaker shop, is when I would do in car testing with a sealed to find peak cabin resonance, I would test the box outside in open air, then inside car, both using the same sweep, and then find out what the peak resonance GAIN is over regular out door testing

when I was at the shop, out door testing was the best way to test boxes tower speakers, ect in Real worl envirnments

If the box had a peak gain at 40hz sealed, just like a 2db gain, but you notice in car gain is like 38hz 12db over that outside gain, the numbers seems to come together a little better-

basically you just learn a little more doing both in car, and out of car testing

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

i find this testing with a sealed box idea a little odd. based upon what i know about sealed boxes, the smaller the box the higher the frequency and the bigger the box the lower the frequency. so i don't see how this will find the cars true freq because that is subject to change with box size.

later

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

• 1 month later...

I'd like to add that minimal internal bracing could benefit in some situations. Threaded rod works great as bracing because it takes up mininal volume, causes little turbulence, and has a high tensile strength. It some situations it would be beneficial to add threaded rod if space requirements are too low for adding more layers to a box.

1992 GMC Sonoma

2008 MECA S1 Champ, 2010 MECA S2 Champ

Archived