Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wanna know that question as well

a smaller ported box means it should be able to handle more power before reaching mechanical limits

i second that, i think you use a 1000hz tone instead but im not sure, someone else wanna chime in?

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

• 7 months later...

Ok another repeat of a dumb question, but good one for us noobs at self tuning. ( I usually have mine done).

Your remote bass control..should it be up down middle unplugged etc etc? I know everything else(including bass eq) to zero gain wise (or flat), but also what about your subsonic filter and low pass settings?

Also another dumb question, but why is it that say an amp does 1600 @ 1ohm but 1100 at 2 ohm, that your voltage will be 40 for 1600 but 46.9 for 1100?

I tried search feature but anything here at work is blocked when trying to do such...frikken govt.

And any help is appreciated as usual! :give_rose:

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

you have a higher resistance at 2 ohms, which requires more power to go through to reach the intended power. that's why at 1 ohm you need it set to 40 volts, but higher volts at 2 ohm because of the higher resistance. if you notice...46.9 volts at 1 ohm would be 2200 watts, and 40 volts at 2 ohms would be 800 watts

you have a higher resistance at 2 ohms, which requires more power to go through to reach the intended power. that's why at 1 ohm you need it set to 40 volts, but higher volts at 2 ohm because of the higher resistance. if you notice...46.9 volts at 1 ohm would be 2200 watts, and 40 volts at 2 ohms would be 800 watts

Thats what i was thinking it was, but was unsure since a lot depends on how you have your subs wired. My thoughts were gain matcching gain for optimal performance for the amp. I figured I'd ask the question than be wrong. ( i wish i would have done more electronic type classes...it interest me, but wasn't needed for my degree haha)

What about the remote knob? My guess is it shouldnt affect the voltage and shouldn't matter where it is set at, but I am also unsure all amps would even work the same in that matter. It's a hifonics 1608D

Thanks!

Blown

on the contrary...it WILL affect the voltage. when setting an amp using the remote knob, you want the gain all the way at zero, then turn the remote knob all the way up. then adjust the amp to get the voltage needed. then when you play it full blast, the volume and remote knob can be full tilt, but wont exceed the voltage you have it set to

sayhuh: please reduce the size of that pic......WAYY to big. :)

to answer the question, if you dont have a O-scope, you are basicly guessing when setting gains. The MAIN purpose to setting gains is to avoid clipping. You cant see clipping with a standard DMM. If your not using a scope you may as well just turn the knobs till you think it sounds good because chances are, no matter where you put them they are wrong..

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

sayhuh: please reduce the size of that pic......WAYY to big. :)

to answer the question, if you dont have a O-scope, you are basicly guessing when setting gains. The MAIN purpose to setting gains is to avoid clipping. You cant see clipping with a standard DMM. If your not using a scope you may as well just turn the knobs till you think it sounds good because chances are, no matter where you put them they are wrong..

:sorry:

I only get to surf from work and it blocks the pics..I uploaded the wrong one..fixing it now.

I know of no shops here that have an o-scope (new to the area)...The one that was close to here just closed doors. Sucks. Makes me miss Colorado or even STL ...not as much of STL though, that place sucks in general.

Blown

Archived