Sundown Audio

List Of Amps Made In U.s.a.

Ben Building

Are the boxes you build pipe dreams? Only until you make them, right?

Same thing here. Ingenuity is not scarce on SMD. If it CAN be done, then who should do it?

Very bad comparison on a business level. I can easily afford to buy box supplies in bulk, pick them up in abundance locally at any time, and build them in my back yard.

Building amplifiers is no where near that simple. You can't run down to RadioShack for supplies, you can't mass produce them out of your home, and very few people here would have the skills capable of building one. Anyone with a soldering gun can't just build an amplifier.

When operating a business on the most basic level you have startup cost, production cost, warranty claims, etc. It's just not as simple as your imagining.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

Very bad comparison on a business level. I can easily afford to buy box supplies in bulk, pick them up in abundance locally at any time, and build them in my back yard.

Building amplifiers is no where near that simple. You can't run down to RadioShack for supplies, you can't mass produce them out of your home, and very few people here would have the skills capable of building one. Anyone with a soldering gun can't just build an amplifier.

When operating a business on the most basic level you have startup cost, production cost, warranty claims, etc. It's just not as simple as your imagining.

Not just that, but call me a pessimist, but I would think that after a few weeks/months/years, nobody would want to work.

Hey [random member] where is [random part]?

Awww, I forgot all about it. I've been so busy lately.

And on it would go. I haven't a doubt in my mind that virtually every member that frequents this forum would want to pitch in initially, but over the long haul, when they aren't as (for lack of a better word) idealistic, they would want to quit. In turn, when someone isn't supplying the part they would need, they would quit because they are sick of stockpiling XYZ part in their house.

And as for selling an amplifier to recoup costs for members providing services, that wouldn't work. I couldn't see anyone paying as much as it would take to cover those costs. Because let's face it, NOBODY is going to want an amplifier, subwoofer, RCA, whatever from an upstart company where they "employees" are random people.

Could you even imagine the shoddy quality of components?

tl;dr:

That plan isn't feasible on so many different levels.

And I was typing as I came up with stuff, so my post may not make any sense. lol

EDIT: I'm not trying to seem overly critical, but honestly, that business plan makes about as much sense (to me) as a pyramid scheme.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Not just that, but call me a pessimist, but I would think that after a few weeks/months/years, nobody would want to work.

Hey [random member] where is [random part]?

Awww, I forgot all about it. I've been so busy lately.

And on it would go. I haven't a doubt in my mind that virtually every member that frequents this forum would want to pitch in initially, but over the long haul, when they aren't as (for lack of a better word) idealistic, they would want to quit. In turn, when someone isn't supplying the part they would need, they would quit because they are sick of stockpiling XYZ part in their house.

And as for selling an amplifier to recoup costs for members providing services, that wouldn't work. I couldn't see anyone paying as much as it would take to cover those costs. Because let's face it, NOBODY is going to want an amplifier, subwoofer, RCA, whatever from an upstart company where they "employees" are random people.

Could you even imagine the shoddy quality of components?

tl;dr:

That plan isn't feasible on so many different levels.

And I was typing as I came up with stuff, so my post may not make any sense. lol

EDIT: I'm not trying to seem overly critical, but honestly, that business plan makes about as much sense (to me) as a pyramid scheme.

As stated earlier, the first product does not have to be an amplifier because, honestly, there's just too many variables at first. A subwoofer or something, on the other hand, might be simpler.

Please don't miss the point. The whole point of anybody volunteering to cone subs (for example) would be to not have to pay $1000 for an amp (for example) and still have one.

I know it's hard to imagine, at first, because nobody's done it yet, but you will have to admit that anything can be done. It would take a lot of logistics and administration, but I think James (for example) can track a pallet at the same as he scratches newbies. Really, none of us are idiots, here.

Logistically, things should be as localized as possible. We wouldn't want to have to ship 10 sub baskets to 99Vic to recone, when Bassbaker15 can do the Task for half the shipping cost.

I would go so far as to say that any problem you can throw up on SMD can be resolved by somebody or a combination of people. Just as easily as a guy figures out his enclosure dimensions on here, that same ingenuity can help solve "SMD America" problems as well.

Good people will help out, man; I'm telling you! Please excuse me for name-dropping in my reply, but I have met some good guys on here that deserve shouting out!!

Well If you want to do some sort of co-op building then that requires parts. I'm sure no one here wants to be on the hook for a bunch of parts. Especially when builders like us have to order thousands if not tens of thousands of parts to get good prices.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

...some little Chinese man with a robotic part placement machine and a wave soldering bath can turn out untold amps in a day.

I just repair amps, I don't build them, and sometimes I'll spend 4+ hours just finding the fault in it.

You're FAR FAR FAR better off to spend 4 hours at your job and use that money to buy something someone over in Asia put together in 30 minutes. Not only will his be better quality (because he does it all day on $$$$$$$$$$$$ equipment), but because the factory is buying their parts in ROLLS of 1000000 or so, his will probably cost LESS for you to buy than the cost of parts for you to build it.

You're completely forgetting about the economy of scale. A single build house in China probably employs more people than this forum has active (and I mean properly active) members.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

MMATS is still made in SUNNY SOUTH FLORIDA.... My D1100.2 says "maid in FLORIDA" Hell for the record, I went to MMATS in Riviera Beach FL where there made, and picked it up my self. There not even 10min from my old job.

Also, I think i'll be correct in saying that ANY USAmp made up to 1999 was hand built in Florida as-well.

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Why start with such a small part of Made in the U.S.A. manufactures such as an Amplifier Company?

HOW MANY OF YOU OWN ONLY AMERICAN MADE CARS?

Electronics in general has advanced so fast that is sent over seas because of production costs. Its the enginuity of technology that remains here. It is that and only that we can hold on to at this point. This country is about pushing the envelope in everything we do. As Americans we expect more. Thus, why majority expect to be at a certain level of employment i.e. working in the office instead of cleaning the office. Furthermore of all the cell phones we own how many are still made here? All us ipod and iphone geeks just got put on blast.

The only way to truly support Made in the U.S.A. is to go out support FORD, GM and Chrysler. Go down to your local Farmer's Market and buy produce grown here or better yet locally. As for electronics that ship has sailed and so has most of computer programing as well. Majority of us using this forum via a computer that was made WHERE? well not here for the most part. Sure you might have built the computer yourself but, that parts are from.........

just my .02,

Archived