Sundown Audio

I built a box for a friend and had a chance to do a direct sub swap powered by a Saz-1500 (for wL<3bass).

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=49426

Test results went like this...

Test results: Sealed on dash.

Started with 40Hz since the peak freq was not known.

40hz.jpg

41Hz

41hz.jpg

42Hz skipped very bad

42hz.jpg

Tried 39Hz just for the fun of it.

39hz.jpg

So after a while of testing we retested the peak freq and could only do a 142.5.

We then switched out the BTL to a Sundown Z15 Dual 2 ohm. Tried 41Hz first and hit a 142.6. I have no doubt that if the Sundown Z was tested first it would have hit a better number then the BTL.

As soon as I get a Saz-2000 I'll see about trying it again.

Edited by banginAltima

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Currently Rebuilding....

I do box designs.

Not a fair comparison IMO....the BTL was underpowered while the Z was receiving atleast 1.5x its rms rating.

edit: You also failed to mention in the post the the amplifier was a SAZ-1500d....which I read the other thread to find that out.

Edited by wL<3bass

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Not a fair comparison IMO...

kinda got to agree.

Which ever sub that box was built for, that said sub should perform better in that box.

You cant really say this sub is better then that sub when you dont do a proper box for each, but only a direct swap. But I guess in some cases that wouldnt matter too much, but thats only if you got some big bitching 20 cubed wall.

kinda like testing a dc level 4xl vs a dd 9500, and the dc lvl4xl only being .1 quiter then the dd with 3800 watts, but yet thats the most the xl motor would take for power when the dd 9500 could take way more power and still get way louder.

He put them in the same box, not the same alignment.

I have not seen the parameters of the Z15 - it might be a louder sub X power, so I will not agrue that.

For direct comparisions of Fi subs, the BTL has the "potential" to be the loudest sub Fi makes in a give alignment (that is alignment, not the same box) even when not driven to full power.

Sure, there are a LOT of variables that can make another sub louder. . .We know installation is a BIG part of the output. A daily box swapping sub A and sub B is not a good indication of the potential of the sub. Do this same test in another vehicle with another box, there is a good chance you get totally different results.

As far as daily boxes go - Also understand that this arguement normally comes in when people say "don't get a BTL unless you have at least 3000 watts, it won't perform well". Well he just proved that wrong. . .A BTL with well under RMS driving it is just as loud as Brand X sub being driven beyond its rated power. . .I understand savig money, but if I have the money, I'll take the more safe setup any day. . .

Brian

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

This wasn't meant for people to get all upset over. I just wanted to see what the Z would do in this set up. An it did better then I expected esp. compared to a BTL. Was the BTL under powered, yes by 500 watts... big deal. Was the Z over power... not really concidering the way Jacob rates his product.

As I said when I get my hands on a 2000 we will try it again. An if you people like we could match the BTL to a more comparable sub like the NS.

Currently Rebuilding....

I do box designs.

Didn't this happen once before when comparing a Sundown amp to a Rockford amp? What I find amusing is where in the section did he say anything negative about the BTL, I think Fi make some damn good subs but a comparison is just that, a comparison. There are too many variables to truly make a determination from a sub swap, he had the time and the speakers so he did it. Would I personally purchase a BTL, no but not because of this comparison, they seem to be more of an SPL sub than a daily driver, I listen to music , I don't burp/fart subs so that's not my area. So when I make the comparison between my (2) 12" SoloBarics and my new Sundown (it's coming soon!) setup, it will be based on what it sounded like with Kicker and what it will sound like once I run Sundown equipment. By the way I have been a Kicker fan for over 15+ years so it won't be biased I will honestly state how I feel about the diffrent setups.

1990 Chevy Suburban (Big Booty Judy)

(4) Sundown Audio Zv5 18's

(1) Sundown Audio Salt 12K

(1) Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

(1) Sundown Audio SAE-50.4

(2) Crossfire ST-1 Tweeters

(2) Obsidian Audio ST-1 tweeters

(4) Sundown Audio Neo Pro v3 6.5's

Saving 2nd Bass

Didn't this happen once before when comparing a Sundown amp to a Rockford amp? What I find amusing is where in the section did he say anything negative about the BTL, I think Fi make some damn good subs but a comparison is just that, a comparison. There are too many variables to truly make a determination from a sub swap, he had the time and the speakers so he did it. Would I personally purchase a BTL, no but not because of this comparison, they seem to be more of an SPL sub than a daily driver, I listen to music , I don't burp/fart subs so that's not my area. So when I make the comparison between my (2) 12" SoloBarics and my new Sundown (it's coming soon!) setup, it will be based on what it sounded like with Kicker and what it will sound like once I run Sundown equipment. By the way I have been a Kicker fan for over 15+ years so it won't be biased I will honestly state how I feel about the diffrent setups.

I'm not getting made or angry....I'm simply stating its not a fair comparison and for the record...I like Sundown as much as Fi.....b/c I actually have considered switching to all sundown but it would have cost me alot of money I didn't wanna lose money selling my used stuff way below what I payed.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

I'm not getting made or angry....I'm simply stating its not a fair comparison and for the record...I like Sundown as much as Fi.....b/c I actually have considered switching to all sundown but it would have cost me alot of money I didn't wanna lose money selling my used stuff way below what I payed.

I wasn't trying to single you out, but the RF fans got pretty heated when they did a comparison with RF and Sundown, now don't get me wrong I have used RF products before and I have pros and cons about what they make but there is no company that makes a perfect product, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. No disrespect to RF, Steve Meade or anybody that uses their products but all they did was a comparison the same way RF does on their website. Ultimately the comparisons will never be fair because someone will have something to say about it, I say buy what you like because it's yours and if you're happy with it, then damn anybody else.

Edited by bigbodylexus

1990 Chevy Suburban (Big Booty Judy)

(4) Sundown Audio Zv5 18's

(1) Sundown Audio Salt 12K

(1) Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

(1) Sundown Audio SAE-50.4

(2) Crossfire ST-1 Tweeters

(2) Obsidian Audio ST-1 tweeters

(4) Sundown Audio Neo Pro v3 6.5's

Saving 2nd Bass