Second Skin Audio

Help Me Pick My Sub

Let me start by saying that this forum is one of the most informative that I have seen in a long time and look forward to learning alot more. Now to my question, I have researched many subwoofer companys and have come down to these. RE, FI, and Digital Designs. I'am not really sure which model of each company would suit me best since i have never personally heard any of these mostly because I live down here in Key West where their are no audio shops worth a crap. I would like to install one 18in. This

would be going into the bed of an 06 avalanche with the port firing into the cab. I have a max of 8cu ft. to work with. I would like a sub that plays really loud without that boomy sound and has good sound quality(as much as i can expect for an 18). I realize DD doesn't sell and 18 so whar ever would be the equvilent to what I'am lookinfg for.

As far as powering the sub, I'd like to stay around 2 to 3 thousand watts RMS. Once I decide on a woofer I'll look into a mono amp from U.S. AMPS, HIFONICS, ROCKFORD FOSGATE, AND DD. Also with pushing 2-3k watts how do you know how many batterys i will need? I'am open to all suggestions and thanks for any help. Almost forgot, between the sub and amp I have a 2k budget.

i wouldnt do DD personally, because they are so expensive. with 2-3k watts i would suggest 2 or 3 beefy batteries along with an upgraded alt. and the big 3 done. if you are looking for some excellent sq then i would go with the RE XXX, although that is a bit pricey too, but i plan on getting a few when i graduate next year... or go with the FI BL.

i likes me some audio stuff...

They introduced the BL, if i understand this right, as an "in between" sub between the Q and the BTL. However, until you add options to the BL, the only real difference is the higher Fs, and a small difference in efficiency. The BL is the SPL version of the Q, with the option of upgrading it. If you're planning on building a clean but loud daily driver, go with the Q. The BL is definately geared more for competition setups.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

They introduced the BL, if i understand this right, as an "in between" sub between the Q and the BTL. However, until you add options to the BL, the only real difference is the higher Fs, and a small difference in efficiency. The BL is the SPL version of the Q, with the option of upgrading it. If you're planning on building a clean but loud daily driver, go with the Q. The BL is definately geared more for competition setups.

Thanks for the advice, do you think I'am going in the right direction with my amp selection?

Yeah - They're all pretty good - The RF and US amps are the tops as far as I'm concerned though.

same here on amps but i would go with the bl from fi, or the sx from re :)

MMM BASS OATS..ITS WHAT I HAVE FOR BREAKFAST

2 AudioQue HDC3 18'' subs

Rockford Fosgate T1 6.5 mids

MMATS 2000.05

XS Power D1200

Knukonceptz 1/0

Pioneer Premier DEH-P490iB

" Shit I can roll a blunt better than those bitches in Havana!"- Uncle Elroy

You have 8 cuft..? Never thought of using 2 15"s?

The thought has crossed my mind. You think it will be as loud or louder? Which 15's you refering to? I'am definitly leaning towards the fi series. So how come no one is recommending the DD's

yes it would be louder than one 18.

Fi is better for the money than dd.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/